82

"So..." Me.

"So..." Ashton.

"So..." Mum.

"This is not uncomfortable at all..." I grab my drink and take a sip. Ashton laughs. My mother thinks.

"How was the trip?" She asks. I shrug. "It was okay." I mumble. I grab Ashton's hand under the table. With the other hand, I take another sip of my drink. "Ashton, how are you? You look tired..." My mother continues to ask. I sigh. Probably this will go on all the time. "Good...Yes, uhm, sorry.... Jet lag..." Ashton apologises. He turns red. "It's okay, sweetie. I get it." Ashton smiles at her.

This is so uncomfortable... I want to go home... Or to the hotel...

"This is so uncomfortable mum..." I sigh. Ashton laughs. "It doesn't matter. This is supposed to be uncomfortable. And with your father it was worse..." Right after he says it, he puts his hand in front of his mouth, startled. I work him an angry look.

"Your father?" My mother asks in surprise. So she did hear... "No..." I mumble. "Well, don't lie to me Juul. I can handle it..." Protests my mother. I sigh. "Okay..." I sigh. "We ran into him, in China..."

My mother's lips form an 'oh'. She bites her lip. "Does he live there?" She asks. I nod. Ashton squeezes my hand. "With his new wife, his daughter and his stepdaughter..." I say softly. My mother nods slowly.

"Is he clean?" She asks on. I nod. "Yes, completely clean... Thankfully..." I smile.

"Are you guys in touch again?" Asks my mother. I bite my lip, not knowing if I should be honest. "Be honest..." Whispers Ashton, as if he can read my mind.

"Yes... I sometimes app with Simone, his stepdaughter. And sometimes with Dad himself. And Zayn... Uhm... Zayn's in touch with him too, I think." I sigh. My mother nods and moves away.

"I'm happy for you guys." Says Mum, genuinely happy for us. "Finally, you guys have dad back. And Juul has a nice boyfriend..." My mother smiles and puts her hand on Ashton's free hand, which is lying on the table.

"You're good to Juul. I can tell from everything. Her self-confidence has gone up and she's over the moon!" I turn red. Ashton smiles. "I love your daughter so much..." He says. "Say you do, though..." my mother winks.

"But please don't give her any children before at least her twentieth..." I didn't know it was possible, but I'm getting even redder. Ashton is also turning red. "Mom!" I yell angrily. Mum laughs. "Sorry dear..." I sigh.

"Are you actually in the same hotel?" I ask, trying to get a different subject quickly. "Yes! A room next to you..." I look at Ashton, Ashton looks at me. "Please restrain yourselves so..."

"Mom, stop with the pussy humor.... I'm embarrassed..." I laugh. "No swearing, Juul..." My mother points out to me. "Mom, seriously?" I ask. My mother laughs. "Sorry, I already stop..." She drinks the last sip of her coffee. "Shall we go to the hotel like this? I haven't seen Zayn in so long?" My mother asks. I stand up.

"Good plan..." Ashton gets up as well. "I'm suffering from massive jet lag. I think I'm going to take a nap..." He mumbles.

"Good idea..." I sigh. With my hand in his, we walk behind Mum, who is going to pay.

When we're outside, she stops walking for a moment. "Ashton..." Ashton looks at her. "Thanks for being so good to my daughter..." He smiles. "Thank you for being... Uhm... You, have such a beautiful daughter..."

602 words

Don't forget to vote