56

"Where are they now..." I sigh impatiently, trampling my feet. "Ouch, Juul, my legs!" Laughs Ashton. Oh well, I'm sitting on his lap. "Sorry baby." I give him a kiss on his forehead.

In three quarters of an hour 5 seconds of summer will be on. Harry, Liam and Wienowa are still not back.

"Ash?" I ask. "I don't know where they're staying, Juul..." Sighs Ashton. "I didn't mean to ask that." I mutter. "Oh..." Ashton strokes his hand through my hair. "Then what did you want to ask?" He asks. "Whether you still love me..." I say, a little uncertain. I want to know if he loves me as much as I love him, even though that's almost impossible. "A little more every day..." Ashton gives me a kiss on my mouth. "Hey, guys. Stick around somewhere else." Laughs Calum, "Why, Luke and Mayke are bad too!" I protest, looking at the couple. They look at me. "I'll give Juul credit for that." Laughs Zayn. "Oh, come on Zayn. You and Perrie then... By the way, is that still on? I don't hear much about it anymore?" I weather they're engaged, but teasing your brother is always fun. "You don't hear about that because it's none of your business." Zayn sticks out his tongue. Everyone laughs.

Then the door opens. Harry comes in defeated. "Harry!" I jump up from Ashton's lap. All the boys and Mayke look at him. "Juul..." Mutters Harry hoarsely. I walk over to him. His eyes are red. Did he... Cry? Harry and crying? "Is everything all right?" I ask startled. Harry shakes his head. "Please sit down." I guide him to a chair. He sits down without a struggle. "What's the matter? Where are Liam and Wienowa?" I ask. Harry shakes his head in defeat. "They're in the corridor... Niall, Liam was wondering if you were coming. And Wienowa wanted to be alone for a while. She went for a walk." Harry looks sadly at Niall, who stands up. "Then I'll go and see him..."

"Liam is in no condition to perform, even though he says he is." Niall comes in defeated. Ashton, Luke, Michael and Calum left two minutes ago: in about five minutes they have to be up. "Why not?" Asks Louis startled, who is sitting next to Harry. He's been staring blankly ahead for three quarters of an hour. He doesn't want to say what happened in the room, but it must have been very shocking. "Something terrible was said in there. He'll have to tell you himself what." Sighs Niall sadly. "Liam doesn't want to disappoint his fans, but he really can't perform right now, he's far too vulnerable for that right now..."

"And now? I don't want to be a dickhead, but one direction with four doesn't work..." Says Zayn with slight panic in his voice. "Harry, are you up to performing?" Louis asks. Harry nods weakly. I can see that he doesn't feel like it, but that he wants to perform if he has to.

"Is Liam still in the building?" Asks Zayn. Niall shakes his head. "He's gone to Wienowa." He explains. Zayn nods. It gets quiet for a moment.

"We can ask someone to replace Liam, just for once..." Suggests Niall after a while, when he sees the defeated faces of the rest. "But who?" Asks Louis aloud.

Zayn's gaze shoots to me. Less than ten seconds later, Niall and Louis look at me too. Harry looks last. "What?" I ask. They continue to stare. Then it dawns on me what they mean: they want me to replace Liam!

"No." I reply decidedly. "No, no and no more. I'm not going to sing in front of I don't know how many thousand people! Especially not a set of 23 songs!" I exclaim. The boys keep looking at me "Please Juul! You know all the lyrics, yes. But I can't sing. And besides, they're coming for Liam. We can't go and replace him cheerfully!" I object "We have no choice. The show must go on! The management will get you ready for the show. You still have an hour, so..." Niall comes and sits next to me on the back of the chair. "We'll say Liam's sick fo like that..." Louis suggests, "You're all mad as a hatter! Do you want to scare those people away or something? You're replacing Liam like it's nothing!" I protest. Poor Liam, he must be thinking "We're replacing Liam because we need to. You don't know what's hit him, he's going through hell. We want him to rest." Niall insists. "We heard you sing on Father's Day Your voice... It was right, everything was right." Zayn reassures me. "And besides... This is the vector arena, it can only hold twelve thousand people... That's not too bad, there are bigger arenas coming..." TWELVE THOUSAND?!

I sigh. I feel I have no choice: I cannot abandon my brother and his friends, who are now also my friends. They need me. Besides, if I couldn't sing, they would never have asked me, right? Or do they just ask me because they have no choice?

"Well then..." I mumble, not really meaning to. Oh god... Did I just say yes? "Yes! Come on! We're going to the management now!" Zayn shouts. He stands up and grabs my arm. What have I started?

903 words

Don't forget to vote