It'll Be Great

The next morning I woke up, did the same routine as usual. My dad was awake for some reason, which was strange, but he might as well have passed out from how hungover he was. 

“I’m going to by groceries” I mumbled

“You should try wearing some makeup hunny, might do you some good” my dad pointed at me from the couch

I was in baggy jeans, a plain grey t-shirt and my favorite leather jacket. I had a few chains on, and also some rings. I thought I looked at least bearable this morning, which is saying something.

“I am wearing makeup” 

I walked out to the parking lot to find the car was gone. I raced back into the apartment, dad hadn’t moved an inch of course.

“Dad where’s the car?”

“Some stupid dumbass kids wrecked it last night” he slurred “Hauled it off to Larusso, ain’t no way I’m picking up that car now. No sir”

I was speechless. He wrecked the car? What hadn’t he screwed up in the past few days!? I mean- come on god, what’d I ever do to you? My dad just stared mindlessly into the tv. I had no words for him, I just left the apartment to go pick up my car. 

I couldn’t afford a taxi so I had to walk all the way, so needless to say I was bagged when I got to Laurusso’s auto shop. I walked into the sleek shiny building. I’d gone here a couple times without my dad knowing. It was a very nice place.

“Hi, welcome to Larusso, how can I help you?” the lady at the front desk asked

“Hi, I just need to pick up my car” I smiled softly, handing her the paper I found on the counter

“Oh, this came in last night? It’s gonna be at least a couple weeks, but we’ll call you with an estimate”

“What- no no- I need my car. I can’t afford to walk everywhere, and I can’t pay for a taxi either- I have school coming up-”

“Harley Lawrence?” a voice asked

I spun around to see none other than Daniel Larusso himself. My dad’s arch nemesis. I smiled softly as he walked over and pulled me into a hug. I instantly relaxed against him, he was just so welcoming.

“Hi Mr. Larusso” I sighed “I’m sorry, my dad got in a wreck last night- I’ll get out of your hair-”

“No no, it’s alright hun. They get you all set up and ready to go?”

“Well, sadly it won’t be ready for a few weeks, so, yay for walking to tim buck two and back” I smiled sarcastically

“Oh, I’m sorry. Well hey, why don’t I give you a loner, free of charge yeah?”

“Oh no Mr. Larusso I couldn’t- really-”

“Nah, it's my pleasure” he quickly waved some people off to get me a rental car before turning back to me “Hey how is the old man doing anyway?”

“He’s uh… in a bit of a rough spot. Lost his job unfortunately, but, we’re hanging in there ya know?” I smiled it off.

In my life, that was one thing I was really really good at, smiling it off. You smile until everyone looks the other way and everything seems okay again.

“Ah that sucks. Well, I’ll get that car fixed ASAP for ya” he smiled

“Great, thank you so much Mr. Larusso” I nodded kindly.

I walked back outside, there was a nice car wait outside, which I appreciated a lot. I knew my dad would be pissed, but at this point I could care less. Mr. Larusso was a nice guy, and my dad was just a bitter old man.

“Hey loser” a cocky feminine voice called

I sighed. I really wasn’t in the mood for this. I spun around, meeting eyes with Sam Larusso, Daniel’s daughter. I’d grown up with her, we went to the same school, and for some reason no matter how hard I tried, Sam was intent on continuing the rivalry our dad’s started.

“Hey Sam” I nodded “Just came to check on my car”

“Aw, yeah I heard. Your dad was pissed drunk and some kids slammed into it” she smirked

I looked at her confused. How the hell would she know that? Mr. Larusso wouldn’t just tell her what happened, he wouldn’t even have known… Oh shit.

“You asshole” I muttered

She just kept the pleasant, angel child smile on her face, waving at me sweetly before walking away. Samantha Larusso was the kind of sweet that made your teeth rot. Amazing at first glance, but ultimately horrible. I tried to get along with her, but she wouldn’t have it.

~~

When I got home dad was standing in the doorway and I nearly walked into him.

“Whoa- okay. Hey dad”

“I’m gonna start up Cobra Kai again” he announced

I looked up at him confused. Cobra Kai was his old karate dojo. Those guys were hardcore, it’s half the reason my dad’s so messed up now. 

“What? Dad hold on a second-”

“No. Harley listen to me for once okay?” He took the groceries out of my hands and set them on the table “I know I taught you a little bit, but- I have so much moreI can teach you! A-and that new kid, I’ll teach him. And I’ll make some money, get back in my element, it’ll be great!”

“How much did you drink?” I sighed, walking into the kitchen to try and reach the groceries.

“Harley listen” my dad held my shoulders, looking down at me “I’m serious. Okay? Really really serious. Honestly! Please… I need you to believe in me baby bird”

I sighed, shaking my head at the old nickname. He only used it when he was desperate. I looked up at my dad, he smelt drunk, but he didn’t look it. He was giving me a pleading look. My god he is serious. Was the epiphany actually happening?

My dad let go of me, maybe trying to ease off a little. I took a couple seconds to think it over, before walking over to our garbage can.

“Aw Harley come on” he my dad groaned

I held a hand up to silence him, digging through the trash to find the ripped up check. My dad gave me a smile, and I gave him a half onc back. Maybe what my dad needed was a second chance. If no one else was gonna give it to him, I would

-'|'-'|'-'|'-