Whether I Win Or Whether I Lose

The tensions were even higher now. To be honest, I wasn’t as scared as I should’ve been. Tory was out for blood, we’ve been going head to head almost as much as her and Sam have…. and I had gotten myself roped into it, thank you Robby. But now's my chance to prove myself. Not that I can beat her, or that I’m more skilled. This was my chance to prove that I can do what I want, and still come out on top. Sam, Tory, Devon, no matter who I was gonna fight today, that was all I cared about. If I won….. Great! If not, then I can fight in the under twenty one next year. Karate’s not going away, I dunno what I was thinking when I thought I could just leave it all behind. Karate was my zen. The pain and the blood, sweat, tears, the joy, this was like breathing to me. I just did it. 

“Uh oh” I smiled as dad and Mr. Larusso walked up “What’s up guys?”

“Today, Miyagi-..... Fang, that’s still so weird” Mr. Larusso cringed, making my eyes widen “Is gonna get you through this”

“Win or lose win, but you’re gonna give it your all” Dad assured

I smiled, this….. This is what I wanted.

“Hell yeah I am” I smirked

Both dad and Mr. Larusso pulled me into a tight hug. I tell ya, I haven’t felt this good in a while. Everything just seemed to be falling into place, one way or another. It might take a while for those things to truly turn good, but they’ll get there. 

“What better way to cap off this exciting exhibition of karate than with the final match for the ages. Representing Cobra Kai, the queen Cobra herself, Tory Nichols!”

I chuckled, I felt a hand on my back, I looked up seeing Demetri and Eli standing behind me. They were both smirking too.

“She stole your title” Demetri pointed

“Honestly?” I laughed “Couldn’t give less shits”

Eli, Demetri, Dad and Mr. Larusso all started laughing at that. This is why I was glad to be fighting on my own. We all knew at this point that even if I won, Cobra Kai would win overall dojo. Even if Mr. Larusso was scared shitless, he was letting it pass for now. Dad seemed to be oblivious to it, and I’m gonna hope, it’s because what I said finally dug deep enough into his skull that he really heard me. Kreese and Silver were gonna try to haunt us for the rest of their lives, and probably a little bit after too, but we can’t let them control our every move.

“Hey, you listen to me” Dad put his hands on my shoulders “You got everything Nichols has. You’ve lived a hardass life, you’ve struggled, and you’ve fought all the way here on your own, you can do this”

“Thanks dad” I smiled, taking a hold of one of the hands on my shoulders “But I wasn’t alone” I looked over at Eli and Demetri, then back to my dad “And I’m not now”

I turned around, Eli hooked an arm around my waist and pulled me in for a kiss. This just seems to be our thing now, not that I’m complaining, I am perfectly fine with that. I pulled away from him, my smile was still as bright as the goddamn sun. I turned to face the mat, about to jump up but two hands grabbed me and lifted me on, Demetri and Mr. Larusso. I laughed, turning to them as they both saluted me then went back to the side. I was laughing, genuinely laughing. This is perfect. I headed over to the center of the mat, facing across Tory.

“You that confident Lawrence?” Tory shot at me, probably meaning my smile

“Nope” I shook my head “Just here to enjoy doing what I love”

“Ladies” the ref called us, and we shut up “Face this way, bow. Face each other, bow. Ready?” here we go “Fight!”

Tory took a jab at me first. I blocked her, making a few of my own kicks, channeling all the energy inside of me and focusing it all into my heart. Tory went to try and foot sweep me, but she lost momentum and stayed on the ground a bit too long, I was able to get a good kick to her head. Oh- wow okay that really hurt! Holy shit, that really hurt.