Another Chance

The next day was mental. A bunch of kids were lined up outside the dojo when dad and I drove up. Granted most of them were nerds from school, but... they were kids. Everyone was watching mine and Miguel's fight. I smiled softly as I walked up to him.

"Looks like we're in business" my dad nodded

Dad opened the door, and kids started to pile in. Miguel came up to me, grabbing my hand and dragging me off to the back room.

"Whoa- nerd, what do you want?" I laughed "At least take me on a date first"

"What? Oh god no- no. I-... I wanted to give you this" Miguel reached behind a corner, handing me my dad's gi

"Oh wait El-"

"I saw you around the corner the other day" he stopped me "You deserve this more than I do Harley, you're a much better fighter, and you're his daughter... and hell if he can't see how amazing you are, then we'll show him"

I was practically speechless. He was so willing to give up this amazing gift, so I wouldn't feel left out? Maybe Robby was wrong, maybe I wasn't the most merciful person.

"You really mean it?" I smiled

"More than anything" he nodded

I smiled, leaping forwards and pulling Miguel into a tight hug. Aisha came back after us, smiling as she held two other gi's in her hands. 

"I found these in an old storage closet. Should fit us Miguel"

"Awesome!"

"Let's get changed" I smiled

~~

After we got changed, groups of kids were all standing around in the dojo. Miguel, Aisha and I were practising punches. I was watching my dad out of the corner of my eye, making sure he wasn't gonna flip out. 

"Why'd I let you talk me into this. This goes against everything I stand for" I heard Demetri complaining a little ways away "It's like extra gym class for no reason"

I stopped punching with Miguel, telling Aisha to step in as I went over to Eli and Demetri

"Let's just... give it a chance" Eli sighed

"Yeah, what's the worst that could happen" I smirked, leaning over Eli as I snuck up "Lose an eye?"

"Oh very encouraging" Demetri rolled his eyes

"Come on man, you saw the fight. Miguel and Harley kicked ass"

"Hell yeah we did" I smiled

"Okay we begin..." I heard my dad try to talk, but it seemed like I was the only one because everyone just kept talking "Quiet!" he roared, and everyone silenced "Face front" he ordered. Everyone faced him, in a somewhat orderly way. Dad walked around intimidating everyone "Nice shirt" he nodded to Demetri

"Thanks"

"I'm joking, it sucks"

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. I know his tactics and how all that works, but if we need to make money, we should not insult the students.

"Word of advice, if you got shit in your teeth, don't smile" he said to another kid "God, makes me feel like a virgin just looking at you"

"Okay sensei, move along" I grumbled

My dad gave me the stank eye. I knew I was just another one of the kids in this dojo. Honestly that's how it should be. I didn't believe in getting special treatment because I was his kid. Luckily he wouldn't give me any, even if I wanted it