Demetri's Right

When I got back home Eli was exactly where I had left him, sitting on the couch with his head buried in his computer. He looked up when he heard me coming, and instantly knew something was wrong. It was probably because I had cried all the way home, so my eyes were all red and puffy, but he probably would’ve known either way, Eli always knew. He set his computer down and opened his arms, I instanyl collapsed on the couch, wrapping my arms around him and shoving my head into his chest. 

“Hey, shhh, it’s okay” Eli shushed me softly, running a gentle hand through my hair “You wanna talk about it?”

“I hate him” I croaked “I hate him, and I hate Eagle-Fang, and I hate karate”

Eli sighed, nodding his head gently “Okay” his words were like smoke, soft but effective “Is that it?”

I took a couple seconds to think before I nodded. Eli nodded again, and continued to comfort me. We sat on the couch in silence for what felt like hours, but it was really just a few minutes. I had no intention of getting up, I felt like any move I made would make me vomit. 

Suddenly a pair of very loud and quick feet made their way into the basement, a pair of feet that I would recognize any day if I didn’t hear his voice before I saw him.

“Where the hell have you two been!?” Demetri greeted us in his own way, barging down the staircase, looking appalled

“How’d you even get in here-”

“Uh” Demetri held up a hand to silence him “Your mom’s left the key under the flower gnome since kindergarten” Demetri reminded, tossing the key at us, which I caught easily, even still lying down “You should really think about increasing the security given, you know. The karate war!” Demetri was about to rant, I could feel it “But, that’s not important now”

“What’s so important?” I groaned, sitting up finally

“Didn’t you- shit Harley are you okay?” Demetri paused for a second

“My dad” I sighed

“Enough said” Demetri nodded “A-anyway- didn’t you hear! The All Valley has separate gender devisons! I mean- do I look like Miyagi-Do’s best hope at defeating Robby Keene?! I mean, Mr. Larusso says that anyone can be the hero, but I’m not Batman, I’m more like, Alfred. You’re Batman and you’re, Harley Quinn” Demetri pointed at us “Oh- right you’re not DC guys”

“Why am I a villain?” I questioned

“Whatever” Demetri waved his arms frantically “Forget Batman, you’re the Hawk! You’re you frickin Harley Lawrence! Last year's All Valley Champ!”

“Yeah, not anymore, so” Eli mumbled, taking off his baseball cap and hood to reveal his buzzed hair

“Hey, at least it looks better than the last time I saw it” Demetri tried to crack a joke, for once it didn’t work 

“Everyone at school knows what happened” Eli’s voice cracked “It’s embarrassing”

“Who cares what they think! Besides, it’ll grow back!” Demetri sounded to desperate

“It doesn’t matter. I ruined my reputation, I talked a big game and then just proved I was an asshole” Eli sighed “To Moon, to Miguel and especially you two. I got what I deserved”

Wait is that what this is really all about? He needs to let that go, we’ve both let it go and forgiven him.

“Hey, I forgave you, remember?” Demetri continued to fight this “And I don’t care if you have a mohawk, or a mullet, or-.... Pigtails! Miyagi-Do needs you!”