You Got Lucky

“Never underestimate your enemy” Kreese taught us, back in the dojo once again “Even if you think they’re weaker then you, you always have to stay one step ahead of them”

“You figured that out first” Hawk leaned over to me, whispering, making me grin

We were all standing in a square around the mats. Kreese walked around inside us. There was a pole in the middle of the square with a plant on top of it… for some reason

“That’s the only way to guarantee a victory. Is that understood?”

“Yes sensei!” we all answered… or mouthed

“Good” Kreese nodded “Now let’s see if you truly understand the lesson. I want you to kick this tree off the top. Red you start”

I looked at him confused. The pole was higher than even Kreese, none of us could get our legs that high. It had to be some kind of test. Red got in position, taking a high kick and… ripping his pants.

“Pathetic” Kreese sighed “... Rickenberger, show him”

He took his place. Setting up his stance properly, for a flying roundhouse, but he missed the pole completely and fell to the ground. That was when I figured it out. I was going to just do it myself, but… I found I didn’t want to. I didn’t need to prove myself to any of these asshats. All I had to do was stay here, and protect Hawk. I nudged Hawk, getting him to move close.

“Stop your sniveling” Kreese scoffed

“Fro- n-.. T” I started making noises. The quieter I could be the easier it was thankfully “Ki-”

“Yes” Hawk whispered, understanding “I can do it sensei” Hawk spoke up

I smiled softly, perhaps Kreese had seen me whispering, but I didn’t care.

“Well what’re you waiting for?”

I smirked, knowing Hawk had enough strength to make it work. He just had to fit it properly. Strike hard. Hawk stepped forwards, standing closer than the rest of the boys.

“Don’t you need a running start?” Kresse asked

“Don’t need one” Hawk smirked, looking back at me and winking

I felt my cheeks heat up as Hawk took a side kick to the pole, knocking it over and sending the pot straight to the mat. I laughed happily, very proud of him… I won’t lie, watching Hawk do well at his karate moves was definitely hot… possibly a turn on.

“Not bad” Kreese chuckled “Not bad at all”
Hawk stepped back, wrapping an arm around me with a proud smile, kissing the top of my head.

“But he cheated” Rickenberger spoke up
“No he didn’t” Kreese denied “Unlike you, he did exactly what I asked him to do. If your mind is agile… or you have a skirt with an agile mind” oh I guess he noticed- wait did he just call me a skirt? “So are you. That’s the best way to beat your enemy. Not just with brute strength, but you have to fight smart” he walked around until he was standing in front of us “Do that, and you’ll always come out on top”

I sighed, keeping my eyes straight forward but I wanted to roll them. He was only saying exactly what I had been saying for… the entire time we’d been here. Fight smart, not hard, don’t underestimate people… Was I just on mute for everyone? Was anyone ever gonna actually listen to me? Okay….. Ironic to be complaining about that now, but… shit you know what I mean.

~~

School the next few days was rough. Everyone was on their toes against each other, I felt like I was the rope in a tug of war. It didn’t help that I wasn’t able to add in my two cents. But I’d been getting better, we went for a check up at the doctors and I was told that I was allowed to start working on speaking words again, but only like- two at a time. It was hard, but I was getting better.