Not Even Me

Without really knowing what else to do the next morning, I headed to the dojo, maybe I could get in a little extra training in peace. We didn’t technically have practice today which meant I should’ve been there by myself. Key word, should’ve. When I walked into the backyard of the Miyagi-Do dojo, what I saw was….. Shocking. I quickly hid behind a bush so I could watch.

“Remember, side side”

Dad was painting the beach house….. Mr. Larusso’s teaching him Miyagi karate, I remember Demetri telling me about the painting thing. Oh this is- no, don’t laugh. Do not…. Laugh

“You know I could have this finished in two minutes with a paint sprayer”

“Then you’ll be missing the point of the lesson” Mr. Larusso assured, sitting down in one of the outdoor chairs

“You know you can’t just layer paint on shit, you need a heat gun to get down to the base, maybe right angle scraper” Dad pulled out some of his old handyman knowledge from his ass

“That’s not the point” Mr. Larusso stated for probably the fifth time “If you wanna learn how to fight defensively, you gotta change your instincts”

“Yeah well my instinct say this is a waste of time” Dad muttered

Honestly, dad could say whatever he wanted, he was still doing it.

“That is quality” Mr. Larusso sighed, taking a drink of something “You missed a spot, over there”

“You know what, screw this” Dad threw his paintbrush to the ground, walking over to Mr. Larusso

I thought he might punch him but instead he just went for a drink. Ah, I should’ve seen that coming actually. 

“What? You’re quitting already? That’s it?” Mr. Larusso taunted

“Look, maybe you can do this, but I can’t” He sighed “Defense is boring. Offense, will always be more badass” Dad took another drink then looked at the bottle “Fruit in your beer, figures”

Good grief dad, knock it off please! I’m begging you to get a grip on your ego and just hear the man out! Out of nowhere, Mr. Larusso, karate chopped off the top of dad’s beer bottle, while it was still in his hand!

“Holy shit!” Dad was in shock “How the hell did you do that?”

“Miyagi-Do may be boring, but don’t forget it saved your ass a few weeks ago from Kreese” Mr. Larusso stated, a little smugly but it was allowed in this case “And that wasn’t the first time. Nobody was more badass than Mr. Miyagi”

I watched my dad think back on the past. I didn’t know everything about his past of course, he was probably thinking of something he hadn’t told me, something he thought was embarrassing. I watched the gears turn in his head before it finally clicked for him. I also watched him fight for a comeback.

“I’ll give you one, Harley” Dad stated proudly “Not even Robby or Miguel, not even you, could beat that kid when she’s at her best…. Not even me”

 Compliment counter- ah who needs it.

“Aww” I grinned as I came out from the bushes finally “Is this why you weren’t home this morning?” I smirked, crossing my arms over my chest

“Harley” dad’s eyes widened, lowering the paintbrush and trying to hide it behind his back like a guilty teenager “I-I…..”

I giggled, shaking my head as my dad fished for an excuse. He actually looked embarrassed, and I was trying not to laugh in his face. I patted his back gently, walking over to the discarded paintbrush in the grass, as well as picking up the second one that happened to be beside it. I handed dad his paintbrush back, before turning towards the wall, attempting to do what dad was doing before. Dad stared at me in shock for a few minutes.