Because Of All That

More training ensued. My dad was ruthless, but it made up a good work ethic. Miguel made great progress, especially in his kicking, that was his specialty. He was able to break boards, and I even taught him to do some pretty sick kicks. 

Tonight was the Halloween dance, and dad had recruited us to pick up more kids to join Cobra Kai. Dad gave Miguel an old costume, it was a skeleton one, and Miguel loved it. I didn’t want to be mean, because I knew that Miguel was getting the father figure that he never got, out of my dad, and I was happy for him. But I made my costume myself, I was John Bender from the Breakfast Club, and my dad told me it looked stupid… Me? Jealous? Of course not, why would I be jealous of Miguel?

“Oh, skeleton, classic, Nice” Demetri nodded

“John Bender, awesome” Eli grinned under his surgeon mask

“Thanks” I smiled softly, grateful someone liked it.

“Thanks, I like your sorcerer costume” Miguel nodded to Demetri

“Sorcerer? Please, I’m a necromancer” he corrected

“What?” Miguel and I chorused

“Didn’t you see the amulet?”

I shook my head, turning my attention back to Eli, Miguel seemingly doing the same.

“So are you a regular doctor or-”

“Plastic Surgeon” Eli cut him off “I fix lips”

“Nice” Miguel nodded

“Hell yeah” I smiled, nudging Eli playfully

We hung out at the party, of course. None of us really wanted to dance, but after a while I convinced at least Eli and Miguel to dance with me. After a while of dancing we ended up dancing really close to the speakers. It was loud and Eli looked like he was getting really bothered. I sighed, walking up to him, making sure not to touch him just in case.

I jerked my head to the side, getting him to follow me, he slowly moved after me, and we walked to the side of the gym where the music was quieter.

“You okay?” I asked softly “Was the music too loud?”

“I hate it” Eli grumbled

“Hey, you don’t have to-”

“I hate being the stupid kid, who’s on the stupid spectrum, with the stupid lip, and that-”

“Eli Moskowitz calm down and listen to me” I stopped him “There is nothing wrong with you okay? It doesn’t matter what anyone says, or what spectrum you’re on. You’re the best friend in the world, because of all that” I smiled

Eli gave me a soft timid smile, I giggled, opening my arms to see if he was okay with touch. He nodded slowly moving towards me, I held him in a very soft grip, when I felt my phone ding. We both pulled away to check our phones. It was a mass text of- oh hell no. 

Everyone laughed, and I saw Aisha running out of the room. Yasime had sent a mass text to the whole school of a horrible picture.

I don’t know what happened to me, but I saw red. I ran over to Yasmine, laughing with all her friends, before she even noticed me I jumped forwards, swinging my arm hard and landing it smack on her face. Everyone gasped as I stood over her. I could feel a small bit of blood on my knuckles. Yasmine looked up at me in shock, so did everyone else.

“You fucking bitch!” I screamed “What the hell’s the matter what huh!?”

“Miss Lawrence!” A teacher came up behind me, pulling me away from everyone “Remove yourself from the building this instance!”

“No I- she-”

“I don’t want to hear it! You’re just as bad as your father” the teacher shook her head.

My head spun. There’s no way in hell she just said that. There’s no fucking way. A few kids started to laugh at me as I just stared in shock. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Eli and Demetri watching me. I looked back at the teacher, a disappointed look on her face. That was it for me.

I bolted out of the gym, running through the crowds, past everybody and out of the building. I didn’t stop to find my dad, or to say goodbye to anyone. I was getting the hell away from all those people. 

~~

I was suspended from school for a week. After Miguel got in a fight with Kyler and dad brought him home, his mom freaked out, now he wasn’t allowed near either of us. Which worked out because… Well I wasn’t at school, and Miguel was barely allowed to leave the house.

Dad’s drinking had gotten bad again. It was getting as bad as before Cobra Kai. Now it looked like we weren’t ever gonna be able to open. I was driving to school after the week was up, I drove past one of Mr. Larusso’s billboard, and someone had graffitied it… with a dick in his mouth. Horribly drawn, but still, it left an impression, and I knew exactly who did it. 

“Bloody hell dad” I groaned.

-'|'-'|'-'|'-