Cobra Kai Never Dies

Miguel had been making a lot of progress over the few weeks. Dad was driving me nuts with paperwork, I had to remind him I wasn’t his secretary, which resulted in a few slammed doors and unhinged punching bags, but it was alright.

Dad had no idea what he was doing. We needed more students for the dojo or else we wouldn’t have enough money to run the place, or just be allowed to run at all. So of course, after some off handed comment about me and Miguel having no friends, we were sent out to recruit new kids. This was gonna be the nerdiest dojo ever.

“Cyberbullying is no laughing matter” our teacher was giving us a giant spiel during lunch “Sending a cruel message to someone online, can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face”

Literally no one was listening, half of the bullies were on their phones ironically enough.

“For the love of god” I groaned, leaning my head down on the table

“I’m not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up, because he son was crying… after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity”

We all looked over at Eli, but as soon as I did I looked away, already knowing there were enough eyes on him. Was this teacher an idiot? Who else could that have possibly been about!? Kids started and whispered, Eli brought his knuckle up to his lip, the three of us all felt bad for him.

“But today” the teacher continued “Our goal here is to make this school a place for all students”

“You know if you’re sick of getting bullied, my karate dojos looking for recruits” Miguel told Eli

“Yeah right, you hear that Eli? A little karate training, and you’re gonna kick some major ass” Demetri as usual, being sarcastic

“We’re serious Demetri. It’s my dad, you know he’s the real deal”

“And I’m sure we could get you both discounts” Miguel added

“I’m sorry- your dad, the washed up alcoholic whom you hate? Yeah, as enticing as that sounds, I think we’d rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control then getting hit in the face”

I leaned over to Eli, so I could whisper without the other boys hearing me.

“Just because Dem doesn’t want to, doesn’t mean you don’t have to” I smiled softly

Eli gave me a soft nod back, his little smile coming out too. I enjoyed making Eli smile, he did it so rarely.

“Oh and one last thing” I tuned back on the teacher “While we’re all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let’s make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of a sexy nurse, maybe try gender neutral hospital employee” the teacher smiled

I rolled my eyes, resting my head back on the table. I had been getting next to no sleep the past few weeks. I couldn’t afford meditation for insomnia so the only time I slept was when I physically passed out from burn out, usually while at the dojo.

~~

Miguel and my dad have been getting along like chocolate sauce and ice cream. Miguel had thought of this idea in school to make a website for Cobra Kai, and an app. We were both smart enough to do it, and when Miguel pitched the idea to my dad, he seemed so happy. Dad has been all over Miguel. 

Speaking of, it’s midnight, and we are currently in the highschool swimming pool. I wasn’t exactly sure what my dad was planning, but whatever it was, it didn’t seem too good.

“Alright, lemme see your hands” my dad held a rope.

Miguel held his hands out, and dad started to tie them together. What on earth is he thinking?

“Hey what- what are you doing?”

“When you’re in a fight, your first instinct is to use your hands right?” dad asked “You gotta unlearn that… and think with your legs”

“Uh… how do I think with my legs?”

Oh shit. I just remembered this lesson.

“Dad wait-”

“Well you just uh-” dad shoved Miguel into the pool, with his hands tied.

“Dad, are you out of your mind!” I shouted

“What? This is how you learned to swim and use your legs to fight” Dad shrugged off “Use those legs! Kick your way out!”

“Yeah! And I drowned! Robby had to give me CPR, remember?!” I shouted

“Oh shit” Dad sighed

Miguel wasn’t getting anywhere. I rolled my eyes, grabbing Miguel by the scruff of his shirt and pulling him out of the water. He gasped for air, I was just happy he was still able to breathe.

“Drowning is for pussies alright? Don’t be a pussy, use your legs” my dad kicked my hand and I lost grip of Miguel, sending him back into the water

“You’re a bastard, ya know that?” I sighed, watching Miguel like a Hawk

“I should’ve asked him if he knew how to swim” my dad mumbled

I groaned, flopping onto my back just completely done with him. Dad walked over, grabbing Miguel by his hair, bringing him back up,

“Please not again! I’ll die!” Miguel begged

“Cobra Kai never dies, say it!”

“Cobra Kai never dies” Miguel whimpered

“Say it like your life depends on it!”

“Cobra Kai never dies!” He shouted

“Now I’m not gonna help you this time. You have all the power in your legs you need” he assured “Use it to kick your way up, do you understand?”

“Yes Sensei!” Miguel nodded.

“Miguel” I added “Smart, not wild” I advised

My dad rolled his eyes and let go of Miguel once again.

“Will you quit teaching my student?”

“Well someone has to” I muttered, watching Miguel in the water.

A large part of me felt bad for him, but another part of me knew that dad knew what he was doing. He wasn’t gonna let Miguel die, and he wasn’t trying to maliciously hurt him, and as ridiculous as it was, I knew this worked. I believed in Miguel. He kicked his legs, until his head rose above water.

“Yes! Keep kicking!”

He bobbed up and down a little, but ultimately stayed above water. I smiled, clapping my hands for him. Way to go kid.

-'|'-'|'-'|'-

Two chapters today? Yeah two chapters today