It's A Wonder

I walked out of my apartment on my way to practise. I told Hawk I would pick him up from his house so I was leaving a bit early. I triple checked my pockets for my inhaler as I walked to my car, but I was stopped by somebody.

“Harley! Harley hold on a second” I spun around….. Carmen, is walking over to me “Hey sweetheart, where are you off to?”

“Just, uh…. Going to pick up Hawk for practise” I nodded, that should’ve been pretty obvious to her

“Oh right yeah, right” She nodded “Well, ya know I was thinking, since your dad and Miguel have been spending so much time together, maybe we should try to do the same”

My jaw unhinged from my mouth. No no no no, one mother was more than enough, but two- No, stop it. Be polite, dad would kill you if you were rude to her, you know that. Just….. Be kind.

“Uh yeah…. Maybe, but I gotta go right now”

“Oh of course yeah, you go on dear, we’ll talk later” Carmen smiled

“Will do” I saluted the woman, trying not to sprint towards the car

I flung myself into the driver's seat, I felt like I should be panting, but instead I was getting nothing. I quickly pulled out my inhaler, taking in some assisted air, trying to get my heart beat to get out of my ears. I didn't need a mom, I didn’t even need the mother that gave birth to me! I’m perfectly fine without a mother, I don’t need two of them! Just…. Go to practise, you’ll feel better with Demetri and Hawk. Calm down Harley. I cracked my neck, and shifted my car into reverse, let’s go.

~~

Practice was actually pretty great. We finally got to use the new sparring deck, and it was amazing! I ever got to fight Mr. Larusso, and so did Miguel. Granted he kicked both our asses, but now that I’ve got a small grip on Miyagi-Do karate, I can use that and Eagle Fang, I’m a fucking powerhouse! Not to blow my own horn or anything.

We were all actually able to train together, and learn both styles, dad and Mr. Larusso were actually getting along somehow. I mean- I know it’s only a matter of time, but I’m getting it all in while I can. And let’s hope it lasts just a little bit longer….. Because we’re having dinner at the Larusso’s tonight.

“Another fresh one coming in hot!” Mr. Larusso announced as he took a pizza out of their friggin pizza oven! “You sure you got enough meat on this pizza here you guys?”

“There’s four different animals on top, that’s a man’s pizza” dad assured

“How did I not end up trans living with you” I stared in shock at my father

He looked down at me so confused, while Mr. Larusso just laughed, obviously he understood what I was saying, dad didn’t. Dad wasn’t exactly….. The most woke, if you will. I was helping Mr. Larusso set the table, Miguel and Sam were up in her room, doing God only knows what. 

“Harley- Hey Harley” Mr. Larusso waved a hand in front of my face, grabbing my attention “You okay?”

“Oh, yeah I’m fine” I nodded, making myself smile

“No Hawk tonight?” he asked

“Oh, no he and Demetri had this big movie marathon thing set up. They’re watching all the Die Hard’s so I’m not missing much” I chuckled 

“How’re you my kid if you don’t like Die Hard” Dad shook his head, standing at the stove and mixing up the broccoli… something fancy

Mr. Larusso chuckled, patting me on the back before exiting the room. I walked over to my dad and gave him a quick hug. He lifted a hand and scruffed up my hair, making me laugh. Someone came around the corner in front of us- oh my gosh!