Hang In There Harls

We were all sitting at the table in our apartment having dinner together with the Diaz family. I think Dad’s been trying to impress Carmen, and Rosa too I think, which in case you forgot is Miguel's grandmother. To be honest I wasn’t listening to anything anyone was saying, I was spaced out until Miguel kicked me under the table.

“Dude, what’s up?” he whispered

“Nothing” I mumbled faster then I should've “Just not hungry”

“You been eating weird again?” Miguel asked

“No- no I just…..” I sighed “Excuse me from this…. Wonderful meal, dad, but I got homework”

I didn’t say anything else, I just got up from the table and went into my room. I fell down onto my bed, letting out a breath and looking over at my bedside table. I don’t know why, but I really felt like smoking. As soon as I thought that I pulled out my phone and called Hawk. I waited a couple seconds until he answered the face time. 

“Hey princess” Hawk smiled, his phone was lying in his lap

“Hey” I replied “What’s up?”

“Not much, just gaming with Demetri” Hawk looked down at the camera, before his face fell “Hey you okay?”

“Oh- yeah- yeah I-I’m-......” As soon as I started stuttering I gave up

Hawk mumbled something through his headset quickly before tugging them off his ears and moving his phone so he was looking straight at the screen. I sighed, I didn’t wanna stop him from playing, but I also knew there was no stopping him.

“What’s going on?”

“I-.... I was just thinking about smoking again…..” I mumbled

“Did you?”

“No” I shook my head “No I called you as soon as I thought it”

“Good” Hawk nodded, smiling softly “Good girl”

I smiled back, but it wasn’t really a full smile. Hawk moved around until he was lying on his bed with his phone leaning up against his legs. 

“Miguel, Carmen and Rosa came over for dinner. I think dad’s trying to impress them” I said something, hating the silence “I’m feeling really weird babe, like….. Like I can’t focus on anything, and there's this pressure and I don’t know where it’s coming from”

Hawk nodded “I’ve been feeling the same honestly. Being with the Miyagi-Do’s is weird”

“Yeah” I nodded back

We sat in silence for a few seconds. Not exactly uncomfortable, but not necessarily pleasant either. After the Christmas fight and everything with my brother, Hawk was my rock. Dad was putting all of his energy into Miguel and Carmen. I felt like I was along for the ride in my own body.

“Hey, I got a surprise for you” Hawk smiled “It’s not for a little while though”

“What surprise?” I quirked an eyebrow with a smile

“If I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise now would it?” Hawk smirked at me through the phone screen making me laugh

“You’re really gonna do this to me?”

“Oh I definitely am”

Hawk and I both laughed, and I felt the weight lift off my shoulders for a few hours. We stayed up and talked all night, and ended up falling asleep on call together. I gotta tell ya, I will never get tired of Eli’s adorable little yipping snores.