All Of You

The next day we were back at the dojo. Miguel and Hawk were sparing on the mat and we were all sitting on the ground watching them. They were both pretty matched in their skills, but Miguel got a hit on Hawk’s stomach after a while. Hawk wasn’t focused.

“Nice work Diaz” dad nodded “Bow, go again”

They did as told, just before they were about to start someone came in fast through the front door. A pissed off looking Mr. Larusso. Oh god what’s happened now. We all stood up, looking confused.

“Mr. Larusso-”

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Dad grabbed my shoulder, holding me close to him… protectively?

“Like you don’t know” Mr. Larusso scoffed 

“Take your shoes off the mat, you’re disrespecting my dojo” Dad said calmly

“You’re seriously gonna talk to me about disrespecting dojos after what you just did to mine?” he stormed up to dad 

“What the hell are you talking about? I didn’t do anything to your dojo” Dad assured

“Just like you didn’t slug one of my employees huh?”

“Wait- dad what?” I looked at him

“Harley not now” dad mumbled, but he didn’t deny it

I sighed, my head falling back as I walked over to Hawk. He held an arm around me protectively, I found I didn’t mind as much as I did with my dad.

“You know, part of me actually felt bad for you at one point” Mr. Larusso sighed “But you make it so easy to remember who the bad guy is in all of this. You call yourself a sensei? You don’t even know what a sensei is. A sensei mentors! A sensei elivates, he doesn’t teach destruction and disrespect!”

“I already said I don’t know what you’re talking about Larusso” Dad took a step towards him “And you don’t know what you’re talking about either”

The tension in the room hung around like smoke from pea soup. I held onto Hawk’s wrist, standing between him and Miguel. I didn’t know what was gonna happen, part of me thought a fight would break out.

“Yeah well I know you don’t” Mr. Larusso nodded “You don’t earn the medal of honor by stealing it!” Mr. Larusso’s voice cracked

Hawk’s body shifted behind me. I looked up at him, he had a strange look on his face. My eyes widened, no. No no no, he didn’t… How could he- he was with me when I fell asleep… I fell asleep. 

“No” I sighed, my voice only heard in my own ears

“Let me tell you something about your sensei!” Mr. Larusso spoke to all of us “He might teach you how to fight, but he doesn’t know a thing about what it takes to truly win at life” really? More stabs at personal life? “If you want to help yourselves before it’s too late, the doors of Miyagi-Do are wide open”

“You think you can come in here and poach my students?” Dad spat

“And what are you gonna do about it?” He knew what he wanted. What they both wanted “You know I’m not gonna strike first”

“Dad no-”

“I’m gonna be the bigger man” Dad uttered, stepping away from him

I blinked… was I having a fever dream? Was this whole thing a dream? Was I still asleep? Did my dad really just say that?

“Yeah… We’ll see about that” Mr. Larusso nodded

Okay well now we know who the petty one is. Mr. Larusso left without any other word. We all watched confused as Chris went and grabbed his backpack from the benches.