No Rules

We had all been called to the dojo pretty early. Dad had walked in the door late, I was still half asleep. Turns out, that getting sleep, means… not being asleep anymore. And since Hawk had been staying over at my house more, just to hangout. I've been getting a lot more sleep.

“Dad, hey” I ran up to him, pulling him into a hug. Yeah, I shocked myself too “dad I’m so sorry”

Dad kept his arms around me, holding me close to him.

“It’s okay kid” he assured

“Hey sensei, I’m sorry about your loss” Miguel said, coming up to us

“Thanks”

“So how was the funeral?” Miguel asked

“As good as any funeral can be” he mumbled

“Yeah” I sighed

“So how’d it go around here while I was gone?”

“Great” Miguel answered before I could “I mean, sensei Kreese is though, but uh… he knows what it takes to win”

Dad nodded, pulling away from me, and walking over to his office. I sighed, moving back to our group with Miguel. We sat down and started to stretch.

“Do you guys really love Kreese?” I questioned

“Of course” Tory said, “He’s strong... knows how the world works”

“He’s definitely badass” Hawk nodded

“Well… sure, but badass isn’t all fighting is about, and you can’t just be strong, there’s a smart factor too it-”

“So what? You saying you don’t like Kreese?” Miguel asked

“You haven’t really liked him since day one actually” Aisha spoke up

“I-... guys it’s just-”

“Alright, everybody get your gi’s on. Training starts in five minutes” dad announced

We all looked around at each other confused. We walked over to my dad, standing by his office. What was he talking about?

“Yeah, what’s wrong?”

“N-nothing’s wrong” Miguel started

“We just thought we were going to the woods for a special training today” I finished

“What’s happening in the woods?” Dad looked back at Kreese

“Well, I thought it was a good time to separate the men from the boys” Kreese started to explain. Me, Aisha and Tory all gave him a look “The girl’s too I suppose”

“How?” Dad asked

“Coyote Creek” Kreese said plainly

“I’m not sure they’re ready for that” Dad spoke uncomfortably

“There’s only one way to find out” Kreese grinned

“We’re ready sensei” Hawk spoke up “We wanna prove ourselves”

“It’s up to sensei Lawrence. If he says it’s okay, then, and only then, is it okay”

We all looked at dad, waiting for his reaction. I wouldn’t lie, a day in the woods sounded nice, even if it was still karate training, and something difficult it seems.

“Alright, well what are you waiting for? Let’s go”

We all smiled, getting out things and heading out to our cars. I drove Hawk and Mitch, and soon enough we were all out in Coyote Creek, awaiting instructions from our sensei’s.

We were set up into… groups I guess. We were each given headbands, either a black one, or a red one. It was weird being split up, but that’s most likely a part of the exercise. I had been put on the red team with Hawk and Aisha. Miguel, Tory and Mitch were on black, with other kids of course.

“Gentleman… ladies. Welcome to Coyote Creek. You’ve been split into two teams. Red, and Black. The goal is to capture as many headbands as possible, from the other side. Today, the people across from you are not your friends” we all stared across at each other “they’re not your brothers, they are the enemy… Last team standing, wins”

“How do we get the headbands?” Miguel asked

“By any means possible” Kreese told us “No rules”

“Use your judgment” Dad cut in “This is just a training exercise”

“Correct… but remember, this is your life” he held up a bandana “You lose it, you die”

“Scary” I whispered sarcastically, making Hawk snicker

“Hey guys! Sorry I’m late!” Chubs ran up to us “Traffic on the 118 was a real bitch” he showed up like he was trying to look like us “Put coyote creek into the nav, nothing came up”

“What have you done to yourself?” Dad questioned

“Oh the… Yeah ya know what, I just decided to flip the script, Hawk style. Respect” he pointed at Eli “Heretofore, you can refer to me as Stingray”

“Son of a bitch” I couldn’t hold back laughter

“Yeah alright Chubs” dad dismissed “He’s on your team”

“Terrific” Kreese mumbled

-'|'-'|'-'|'-

Sorry for the shorter chapter, but I promise an very amazing one tomorrow!!