Go

You'll never believe who followed me into the emergency room. He followed me into karate, he followed me into the first All Valley, into the hospital, and now, back into injury town. Give it up, for Miguel motherfucking Diaz. Johnny and Carmen were losing their ship, literally biting their nails. To be fair, so was I, I hated seeing Miguel look so scared.

“Good news, looks like it’s just a pulled muscle” The medic announced “It may ache for a bit but you’ll be fine”

We were all able to take a breath, I felt like I was gonna vomit, I could only imagine how Miguel felt. 

“Oh thank god” Carmen sighed

“So does that mean that I can keep fighting?” Miguel asked

“They’ve given you thirty minutes to recover. So let the pain guide you” The medic instructed “If it’s telling you to sit this one out, I’d listen, both of you” she looked between the both of uf “I’ll get you an ice pack”

“Thank you” Miguel nodded as the nurse walked away

I sighed, leaning against Miguel on the bench, leaning my head on his shoulder. Miguel leaned his head over to the side on top of my head. This is ridiculous.

“How’s it feel now?” Dad walked over

“Not bad, just a little sore” Miguel answered, most likely being modest about it, like I was

“Miggy, you don’t have to continue” Carmen reminded 

“Don’t worry mom, if something feels off I won’t fight” Miguel assured

Carmen nodded, giving my dad a look before she went to leave the room. Rosa stopped her, walking over to the two of us. 

“Eras tan bueno por ahi” She smiled at Miguel “Especialmente cuando pateaste a ese niño en la cara”

“Gracias Yaya” Miguel nodded, honestly, he looked bagged

She leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek, making me chuckle. Carmen and Rosa left the room, leaving just me, Miguel and dad….. This could go quite a few ways. Hopefully it goes in a productive direction.

“Alright” Dad approached us “We’ve got half an hour. Show your back and your knee who’s boss”

Miguel and I both nodded, dad went back out the arena. I heard the announcer calling out the fight between Demetri and Robby. I prayed, genuinely prayed, to…. Someone, that Demetri came out of it at least proud of himself. I was more than proud of him for being able to get this far in the first place, words don’t explain how proud I am of him. Of everybody. 

~~

After not even three minutes, Miguel was on his feet, practicing his high kicks and stretching out his back. I was limping my way around, trying to get the strength back into my knee, but something was really off. If I fight tonight, I dunno if my knee will ever be the same again. I made it out of the change rooms just in time to see Robby land a hit on Demetri, oh shit he’s leading two to nothing. I very quickly hobbled over to Miyagi-Do’s side of the mat, which was stupid, but hey, if I can’t support my family, I might as well not even be here.

“Now that he’s gone all sith” Demetri panted “I feel like a helpless Jedi youngling about to get slaughtered”

“Okay well, you’re taller” Eli spoke up, encouraging his best friend “You have the high ground”

Nerd encouragement, the best kind of encouragement.

“That-” I huffed as I hopped my way over, leaning on Eli to keep my steady “That’s how Obi-Wan defeats Anakin right?”