Let Them Do It

There was…. Cardboard at the end of the hallway? What’s his plan? I led the way after dad heading down the hallway, I walked past the saloon style cardboard doors and saw….. Miguel, standing in the living room, of fucking course.

“Not again dad” I groaned

“You literally just said he wasn’t here” Miguel was pissed

“Yeah, I lied again, not my fault you fell for it twice” Dad shrugged, I groaned and leaned against Robby’s chest “You guys are right. Tricking you into lunch wasn’t my best effort. So I did some interneting, found a bunch of strategies for building trust and teamwork through cooperative exercises”

“I’m surprised he knows those words” I mumbled

“The least lame one is called an escape room. How it works-”

“I know what an escape room is and I’m not doing it” Robby cut dad off

“Yeah that does double for me” Miguel grumbled, walking towards the door….. That was locked?

“I reversed the doorknobs, it’s locked from the inside” Dad explained, and then he held up a key “And this, is the only key” dad dropped it in the sink. I realized what dad’s plan was and jumped to cover Robby’s ears, who was already bracing himself. Dad diced up the key in the garburator, this is ridiculous “Glued the windows shut too so no one’s getting out of here unless you work together. Now as I was saying, the way its works is, you start with a theme okay? Our theme is the Lincoln County War” dad pressed a button on an old radio and it started playing music “New Mexico territory, 1878, Lincoln county regulators Jose Chavez and Josiah Doc Scurlock have been arrested to be hanged, alright you’re Chavez, obviously”

“This is just the plot of Young Guns 2” Miguel sighed

“Shit you saw it?”

“Yeah, with you!”

“Who cares? Dad, you’re missing the point” Robby spoke up “You could lock us in here forever, and we’re never gonna be friends”

“Yeah, why are you suddenly pushing this so hard?” I asked, trying to figure out what dad had nearly spilled earlier

“Because, me and your mom….. It’s just that- we’re all sort of on our way to becoming a family”

“A family?! Me and him? Are you joking?” Miguel scoffed

“Maybe not the traditional kind-”

“No not any kind” everyone was getting mad now “I mean, you two have your thing, whatever, but you keep forcing this, all you’ll do is get his ass kicked”

“Oh ready when you are runner up” Miguel spat

“Name a time and place” Robby gritted back

“Okay enough!” I shouted “Would getting along really be that difficult? It’s not like you two don’t have common ground. You both like karate, you’re both amazing fighters, you both are determined to look after me no matter how little I deserve it-” whoops “A-anyways, this is getting ridiculous-” I was cut off by a knock on the door, and Rosa Diaz entering 

“I am Billy the kid! And I have a riddle for you” She exclaimed, I had to try not to laugh

With that Miguel walked out of the apartment, and Robby stuck his headphones back on and headed into the bedroom. I sighed and headed over to the kitchen to grab some orange juice and an apple….. Because we have that stuff in our house now.

“Me equivoco” Rosa sighed

“No Rosa, I did” Johnny sighed, is he- is he learning spanish? “Again”