Lunchtime

I stared at my phone, watching it go to voicemail from probably the millionth time. I let out a breath, clutching my phone so hard I thought I would be able to crush it. I pressed the call button again, hearing the dial tone until someone snatched my phone out of my hands. I jumped up onto my feet, reaching over the thief to try and grab my phone, desperately flailing my arms at Hawk trying to reach it.

“No- Harley we talked about this- Hey- Harley stop it-” Hawk held my phone away from me.

I opened my mouth to shout at him, all that came out was a pained whimper, making me bite my lip hard. I froze, letting my arms fall as I took a step back. Hawk stuck my phone in his back pocket, I cracked my neck, trying to get a grip on myself before I cried in front of everyone.

“Hey, it’s alright” He stepped forwards, opening his arms, and I practically fell into them “I know you wanna find your brother okay? I know- I mean god knows why… But- you will… Give it time, remember?” I nodded my head, keeping it in his chest “Okay, that’s good” Hawk nodded, holding me against his chest

Hawk stayed with me in all my classes for the rest of the day, he didn’t care about missing his own classes, and no one had the guts to tell him to leave. At the end of the day he transferred out of all his classes, and into mine. Even taking advanced algebra with me, reluctantly of course, but he told me he would stick through with it for me. No matter what anyone else said, Hawk had a heart. Even if he only showed it to me.

I can’t leave them all there with him… I can’t let them go down the same path as my dad, I can’t. No matter how long I have to stay there

“Life isn’t always fair. Sometimes the world can be cruel, and that’s why you have to learn to be cruel yourselves”

Luckily, I hadn’t abandoned Cobra Kai, technically I was on medical leave. I hadn't done practice in a while, and I’ll admit I felt out of shape. But I had determination here. I had a hunger to be on top, and a drive to support my family. I had made a promise not to leave anyone behind… and stubborn Hawk was determined to become the toughest person on god's green earth, even if I tried to tell him he didn’t have to be, there was no stopping him.

“Weakness is unacceptable” Kreese continued “The fight at the school was an embarrassment, you lost soldiers and you lost the battle” that all hung heavy on us. Miguel was in ICU so no one could go see him. It was rough, but he’d pull through “But you will not lose again. Diaz was one of our own, Lawrence is one of our own” he pointed at me, which surprised me I'll admit “What they did to them, they did to all of us, and it will not go unanswered. We will show no mercy. We will show no weakness. We will strike back and we will strike hard! Is that clear?”

“Yes sensei!” Everyone shouted… except me

“I can’t hear you!”

“Yes sensei!” they shouted louder

“Harley- I understand your condition, but at least mouth it” Kreese sighed, disappointedly

I fisted my hands, nodding, mouthing the phrase. It made me angry. I wanted to fucking kick his ass, but if I did I’d probably get thrown out, and I can’t leave. I have to play it cool… like- red and blue… fire and ice… I am a boiling ball of lava, surrounded by ice.

~~

After a few minutes Kreese went into his office, we started doing a few drills, practicing things and trying out things we thought of, ya know the usual stuff. I was sparring with Bert, and he almost beat me, which, no offense to him, really bothered me. I wasn’t focused anymore, I was all over the place.

“Class” Kreese came back out of his office “You worked hard today, so before you’re dismissed I have a little treat for ya” He pulled, a cute little mouse out from behind his back, I smiled softly it was really cute “I wanna introduce you to a friend of mine”