{9}- The Strongest Mage | Contract

Oh guys by the way, the music I mentioned in the last chapter can only be seen when you're reading on a laptop or a PC device, so it doesn't work on mobile apps, sorry about that. The song for the last chapter, for those of you who didn't see, is Horrors: Nightcore from Syrex, and this time it will be Champion from Nightcore Zodiac. Have fun!

"And how do you know that? Assuming that I do know the future, that is." I replied cautiously. "It's a pretty big claim you're making if you have no evidence."

"I trust you recognize what this is, then?" Roswaal held up a book that he took from his jacket, and although I couldn't recognize that pattern and designs, I knew what it was.

"An imperfect copy of the Book of Wisdom, I suppose? Beatrice has one of those, too."

"And why did you just expose yourself?"

"I simply have no reason to hide that ability anymore. Your Gospel thing probably told you anyways." I said, exasperated.

"I wonder, what is your goal, for one who knows the future?" Roswaal asked me, genuinely curious this time.

"I seek the truth of this world. The true truth." I replied, determination filling my voice.

"And could you specify?"

"For example, the fact that the Great Waterfall is not the real 'edge of the world'."

"Hmm... and what makes you think that?"

"I think the raven-haired boy beside us there and I myself are enough evidence."

"I see... this changes things. Without a doubt, you would definitely be a vital part in my plans. Well then, I would like to form a contract with you." Roswaal states, and I was quite shocked. Not as his action itself, but more at the 'why' component.

"Hmm... I do not wish to be controlled by anyone, just so you know, that's why I don't like contracts from a very scheming person. On what terms should I agree to sign a contract with you?" I said, awaiting his response.

"I have seen your mana usage, and in my honest opinion, you have much greater potential than the Subaru boy behind you. And I believe that developing that potential to a higher stage is the best for this country."

For this country? Bullshit to the core. He only wants this for his own benefits. However, since I'm already going into Arc 3, I should be able to sever this contract after I arrive in the Sanctuary anyways. I just need to hope that the Witch of Greed is truly willing to help me by then.

"Fine. But on one condition." I said at last. "I wish to duel you. I want to see for myself how strong exactly is the strongest mage in Lugnica. If you win, you can name the terms of the contract. If I win, I will name the terms of the contract. Deal?"

Timeskippu*

Roswaal found us a clearing in the middle of the forest after we transported Subaru back to fight, and I was checking my Authority right before he appeared from the sky using Flying Magic, and descended onto the field as he gave me a slight smile.

"Shall we begin?"

"Anytime you like." I said, and readied the short sword that I kept on myself before coating it with helium hydride, before I charged at the mage who just readied his spells.

Four orbs of different colours gathered in Roswaal's hands, and the four spells Goa, Huma, Fura, and Dona were simultaneously shot out before I blocked it with a thin layer of Boron, which helped stopped the impact. I leapt away from the spells' trajectory as they swished past me after breaking through my temporary barrier.