{107}- Smile of the Blank Realm | Stand Up

Subaru POV 

Hall of Memories, 'Cradle' of the Od Laguna 

We have to play this safe. Subaru thought to himself. The little girl that stood before him, although with a smile plastered on her face, was anything but kind in terms of the aura she's radiating. The sinister presence is enough to make him stunned, but he decided to let his rational mind do the talking.

Sin Archbishop... huh. Y/N's teammates were one of them... but I don't believe they're exactly good people. I remember that Y/N explained a little to me - even though I have no idea how he even knew, since he also lost his memories - regarding some history of this world. 

"......First of all, Witch Cult or 'Gluttony', Sin Archbishop, what the hell do they even mean."

"Awa~ ~tsu." Whilst Subaru folded his arms and tilted his head, Rui put her hand on her mouth and smiled widely before she uttered her answer. "The Witch Cult, you see, is basically a gathering of people loathed by this world."

"Oh?"

"Even onii-san must have at least heard the name'Witch of Envy', no? The Witch Cult, has a deep connection with that Witch-sama...... we~ll, you can think of it as something like followers."

"......Then, what you said just now, refers to Sin Archbishop, huh."

"That would be correct."

"Hmm... would that mean that you guys are some sort of villains?"

"Oh no, well no, ah no, as it's no, we're telling you no, even though it's no you kno~w." While Rui's smile faded from her face, her vague wording left Subaru perplexed as to what she's really trying to say. 

"Not convincing at all. Also, the way you use your first person pronoun, is it cause it's stuck to your character? Or is it a cool appeal like a one man army. We or us, it's not stable, you know."

"A~h...... you don't have to worry about that. It's just that, there are too many selves, so it's getting airy as to which one is to be the subject, that's all. At this point, we're actually getting sick of it, you know." Rui sighed as she rubbed her temples. "It can't be helped, isn't it. They are gifts from onii-chan and nii-sama after all, must earnestly accept them or it'll be disqualification as a little sister. We're siblings so we must help each other out and cooperate, you know."

"...Well, you're an adorable​ little sister, considerate of your elder brothers. I was the only child so I'm jealous."

"Is that so, eh? Onii-san may have also gotten a little brother or little sister about now, no?"

"Could you stop saying terrifying stuff!? I don't want to imagine that!?"

Regardless, his parents were an intimate married couple, so something like that actually meant no jest. If it's that father and mother of his, they would have another child upon Subaru's disappearanceー no. Inconceivable. Should Subaru disappear, they would continue searching until they find him, that's how Subaru's parents were. What must have his mother thought of her son, who did not even say any greetings when leaving. What must have his father felt, upon getting to know about that.

He wished, that Subaru's summoning into the different world was a reincarnation, is what his belief was. Must he make his parents taste the agony of searching for their disappeared son, then Subaru wanted to say that he came to the different world after dying. That was much more comfortable. It had much more, salvation. That is whyー

"We understand, onii-san."

"~hk! Don't joke around!" Subaru jerked back, an uncomfortable feeling creeping up his spine. It was not as if she had spoken of his current uneasiness. It was merely that having his bitter expression observed, he had been told as if she understood Subaru's sentiments. Finding that to be terribly infuriating, Subaru shouted at Rui, and turned his back towards her.

"As if you know anything about me! Saying things as you plea......"

"You're inexcusably apologetic towards dad, and mom, aren't you? Without having said a single word of farewell, you're regretting how disobedient of a son you were. No, you were always regretting. Both now and earlier, isn't it?"