{95}- Trial of Monoliths | Taygeta

Y/N POV

Floating monoliths in a pure white world... this is indeed a trial befitting that enigmatic atmosphere of an outerworld.

Subaru and the others slowly wandered around the hall, and soon he noticed many other monoliths floating further in the sky.

Touch the brightest hero destroyed by Shaula.

The phrase still rang clear in my own head. As far as I know, the only people I have heard that Shaula killed are either the mabeasts who came near the tower or Witch Cultists who have somehow got past Sand Time. Could she have killed a Sword Saint? Is that what it meant by hero?

As I thought about this, Subaru accidentally touched another monolith other than the original, and scorching light filled the room.

It wasn't exactly the most pleasing filling, but the blinding light did not injure us in any way. All that remained, however, was the original monoliths.

"So there are no limit to the attempts." Subaru stated. "Could we brute force our way through this?"

"I mean... given the information we have so far, the point of the challenge would be to touch the 'correct' monolith. There are unlimited attempts, but just as many monoliths to touch. Theoretically, you could just do trial and error, but you probably need ladders or spells to reach the higher ones." I replied, carefully analyzing the situation.

"I agree with Y/N said, but..." Julius stared at the trial with shame. "We tried it multiple times with each other before you guys got here, so it must mean that it's a puzzle only you two or your battalion members could solve."

"A puzzle only we can solve." Something suddenly clicked, but I needed more confirmation. "Subaru... about that phrase. What do you think it means, to touch the brightest hero destroyed by Shaula?"

Subaru's immediate response to my quizzical question was to turn to the Sage's Apprentice, but she seemed to not be of any help.

"For now let's go with a name that you remember......Yeah. Ah, how about Reid? That dude was the first ever "Sword Saint"; You killed him, didn't you?"

Shaula's reaction was something interesting indeed. A high-pitched scream that echoed throughout the room. "AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE!!"

This scared Meili so much she would've fell back down the stairs if Elsa didn't catch her in time. Meanwhile, Colette and Palmyra put on their winter earmuffs to reduce the sound's amplitude.

Immediately after yelling in fear, she literally ran all the way to a corner of the room that I didn't even know was there since it was all white, and hid there. Subaru, feeling exasperated, asked her what's wrong and so scary at the first sword saint. At this, Julius decided to recite propaganda fed into his brain since he was a child since he could not take offense regarding his most valued 'hero'.

"Huh, is the First "Sword Saint" such a scary person?" Subaru asked as Shaula moved a bit more away from them.

"How foolish. Reinhardt, Wilhelm-sama and such are esteemed individuals worthy of the forefather of the Astrea family. He definitely wasn't just skilled with the sword, but a man of character as well. Certainly, there are some parts sprinkled into the anecdotes that were left behind as rumours that indicate that he was rather strong-willed which don't overlap with Reinhardt and the rest, but...... If it's not like that, then wouldn't that'd mean the history of the Astrea Family has been twisted till this current generation?"

"Uh, Julius, I think after 400 years of history, not everyone will stay the same, especially if personality wise. I mean, do you and Joshua even have the same exact personality? I'm not saying Reid is a bad person, but his temper and how he presents himself might be a reason to why Shaula is acting this way."