{71}- Picoutatte | Remains of the Black Dragon

Y/N POV

"So... the 5th ranked was hired by a noble a long time ago?"

"It seems that way." Capella agreed. She had pulled all the information out of her subordinates, and I will leave the process out. She goes into what she calls 'work mode', which is literally 'sadistic leader side', and returns to me with a smile that sends chills down my spine after witnessing her... methods of interrogation. It's just... bizarre.

"But why all the mercenaries? I feel like that Bloody Reaper guy could defend or kill anyone quite well, so why?"

"Their goods that their were transporting. That ash... it was apparently somebody else's request, an organization that goes by the name of Schlizirkel. I've never heard of it, so they might be a new organization that emerged. What do you think of it?"

Schlizirkel. The 'Closing Circle'. That name was definitely German, and that means the one who created the organization must be an Outerworlder.

I've heard the name before. I just forgot who it associates to.

Well, I'll find out soon enough, so I'm not going to waste anymore time. I have to go to sleep. My schedule's messed up, anyways...

After confirming that everyone was in their beds when I returned to the hotel with Capella, I tucked myself under the covers and fell asleep.

***********************************************************************************************

I woke up in a strange place. Rather, I would call it unfamiliar.

I was by myself in some kind of...cell.

Looking around the bars and my surroundings, I noticed a grass mat. Huh, typical clichéd prison stuff. Why am I in here, though?

"Yo, lad, you up?"

A croaking voice came from the cell next to me, and I swerved my head around to face an oldish man, who sat in the cell looking kind of gloomy. "Who are you?"

"The same kind of person as you, I'd wager. Someone who has seen too much and meddled in the affairs of the 'princess'."

"The princess? Who is that? As far as I know, Lugnica has no princess..."

"Nah, lad. She's just the daughter of a large noble here in Picoutatte. I just happened to stumble upon some of her hired thugs beating up one of my friends, and tried to call the knights before her mercs apprehended me and threw me in here. It's been days since they last fed me."

"Well, if you're hungry, have this." I manifested a cream puff out of thin air, one of the few recipes I've worked on myself, and handed it to him through the bars.

The inmate chewed quickly on the pastry, and his eyes lit up in joy. "How do you have this, lad? This thing tastes amazing as heck!"

"Well, it's part of my ability... of sorts. Here, you can have some more."

"You're a saint, lad!"

***********************************************************************************************

The man, whose name was Bryan, described his story to me in more detail once he felt better after drinking and eating. Apparently, his friend was a merchant who was transporting the goods, aka the mysterious ash back to Picoutatte, but thieves attacked his cart and some of the goods spilled right before he was rescued, so he got a look at what was inside, but didn't think much of it after repairing the bag.

The mercs hired by this 'princess' were very observant, and immediately questioned him about the repairing of the bag of goods. The poor guy didn't even have time to explain before they beat him up and locked him in an even worse cell.