five

"I feel like you don't care

"I feel like you don't care." Ward Cameron said to Rafe as Sarah and Iris listened from inside the door at Tannyhill.

He was currently being lectured on the family business and what was important and blah blah blah...

"I said I do!" Rafe shot back, an uneasy tone in his voice.

"You said-"

"What do you want me to say?"

Ward sighed, "I don't want you to say anything. I want you to take care of business. Where are the generators?"

Silence.

Iris knew he bought that stupid bike with the generator money, but he swore he didn't.

"I gave you money for the generators. You said you would take care of it. Did you take care of it? Where are they?"

"They're on back order." Rafe responded.

Ward chuckled, "Yeah, of course they are."

"There was a hurricane!" Rafe fought back.

"I tell you what. You know that Pogue I just fired? John B?" Ward paused, "Way more reliable than you."

"Really?" Rafe asked, scoffing.

"Yeah, really. You need to get it together, Rafe or you can go on and live on the Cut because I'm sure the Campbell's aren't going to take you in any longer now that you've dropped out of school."

Sarah and Iris looked at each other in shock.

"Did you know?" Sarah whispered and Iris shook her head.

He dropped out of college.

And he didn't even tell her.

He was totally screwed.

And not because you so desperately need to go to college but you need to go to college when you're a Cameron, or a Kook at all.

"What? How did-"

"Yeah, I know. The school called me, Rafe. Do you know how much I've invested there? I made sure you had a spot no matter what and you still fucked it up."

Rafe let out a nervous laugh, unsure of what to say.

"That funny to you? Living on the cut? Being poor and all drugged up? Hm? You wanna be a Pogue?" Ward asked him, "Do you wanna see what life was like for me growing up? For Rich and I? See how we had it? You wouldn't survive long, son."

Ouch that must've hurt.

"No, sir."

"You can go live on the cut as far as I'm concerned!" Ward yelled, "Now get out of here. I'm sick of looking at you. Make yourself useful somewhere, somehow."