ninety-four

Back on Kildare, the night that Iris left, Rafe had a complete breakdown

Complete.

Prior to Shoupe walking up to him on the tarmac, he had tried to run after the plane.

He tried.

Why didn't he just go on board too?

He should've.

"Fuck!" He screamed as the plane's wheels were no longer touching the ground. He stared up as it got smaller and smaller, feeling his chest get heavy and his breathing increase.

"You look like you've got a story to tell, son."

He turned around, Shoupe.

"Let's go, Rafe." Shoupe paused, "I'm not asking you again."

Rafe gave him a smug look as he walked off with Shoupe.

"You wanna tell me what happened out here tonight?"

Rafe scoffed, "What happened? What happened, hm? I wonder, Shoupe, I wonder-"

"Don't get smart with me." Shoupe interrupted him as Rafe bit his tongue, "What went down here?"

He nodded, "What went down...yeah...well, here's a trauma dump, Shoupe. My girlfriend, yeah, she left me for some Pogues. Again."

"I'm not talking about your girlfriend, Rafe. I'm talking about your dad. Ward."

Classic.

Time to put on a bit of an act, Rafe.

Rafe furrowed his brow, "My dad who's dead? What, I-huh?"

"We got report that someone saw your dad."

"A ghost? Someone saw a fucking ghost?"

"Rafe-"

"Don't joke with me about my father, okay?" Rafe said as he teared up, "Don't even-"

"Rafe. We never said he was alive, we said we got report that someone saw him."

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"Well-"

"My father is dead, alright? I know, I know he died on the Druthers that day, alright? And, and I've been through a lot. He's dead, and I, fuck, Shoupe, I thought my girl was dead for weeks and then she turned up alive, okay? I don't need you to give me false hope that my father, Ward Cameron, is alive." Rafe ranted as he grabbed his motorbike helmet, "Now if you excuse me, I have places to be."

"We're not done here, Rafe." Shoupe yelled as he turned on the bike and drove off.

Fuck him.

And fuck her, too.

Why did she do that? Why.

What the fuck was going through her head?