forty-nine

JJ and Iris showed up at John B's thirty minutes later

JJ and Iris showed up at John B's thirty minutes later. And Iris hadn't let go of his hand. She didn't want to. It was comforting to her, and he knew it, but she didn't want the Pogues to get the wrong impression. So, when they approached the house, she slowly let go, earning a slight frown from him and she gave him a sympathetic look.

"Finally. You guys took forever." Pope muttered, "I've been waiting to talk about the diary." He held it up.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Go on then." Iris replied as she and JJ sat down side by side on the couch.

"Okay, so from his diary, it says, August 15th, set sail from Port-au-Prince on calm seas. Came upon the Spanish ship San Jose on fire. The entire deck was aflame. And we could hear the screams of men trapped below. The Spanish captain cared about only one thing, his valuable cargo, the Cross of Santo Domingo and countless bars of gold. Once the cargo was on board, we went to help the crew, but Captain Limbrey ordered us to pull bayonets and not to let any of the Spanish crew on board." Pope took a breath, "He robbed them and left them to die."

"So, it didn't go down off Bermuda." JJ muttered.

"And it was a Limbrey stealing shit again." Kiara stated.

"This diary proves that both the gold and the Cross of Santo Domingo were on the Royal Merchant."

"Why didn't we find it in the well then?" JJ asked, playing with his lighter, "I mean, if Denmark was able to get this, like, bedazzled cross off of the Merchant to shore, why didn't he just hide it with the gold?"

"Because it was too big." John B added.

"You're right."

"So, he had to hide it someplace else." Iris muttered.

"But where?" Kie asked.

"Right before he was hung, Denmark said he'd buried the treasure at the foot of the angel."

"Wait." JJ paused, "I thought this was about the key."

"Right. So what's the connection?" Kie asked.

"The path to the tomb begins in the island room." Pope muttered.

"But what is the island room? Where is the island room? Iris, you need to get your dad to hurry up and find those maps." Kie groaned.

"You know what helps me figure shit out?" JJ asked, standing up.

"Oh boy. Here we go." John B muttered.

"Smoking beers and drinking weed. The ideas just pour out of me. If we just sit here and try to figure this out, we're gonna get nowhere. But if we get creative and go to the bonfire tonight, maybe we get somewhere."

Oh, JJ.

"Well, I was disowned by my parents, and I'm an official member of the I-have-nothing-to-lose club." Kie said, agreeing.