thirty-seven

Shoupe didn't show. The pictures were enough and he figured they were long gone with a Gavin's body. Some police work, huh?

"I didn't want this to happen, Rafe. You have to know that." Ward said to him as they were on the dock by the Druthers, "I offered him so much. I offered him more than I had."

Rafe knew he was fucked. His dad had the upper hand. So he had to go along with it.

Rafe let out a deep breath, putting his head in his hands briefly, "Alright, alright, uh, what else needs to be done?"

"I lost the gun."

He his his shock, "Tell me where. I'll get it back."

"Grand. At the, the construction site at Grand. It washed down the storm drain. We need to find it and get it back."

"Alright." Rafe huffed.

"Be careful."

"Yeah, okay dad." Rafe muttered, brushing past him.

When Rafe went back inside, Iris was snuggled up in bed. He smiled softly, looking down at the brown haired girl in his bed. His girl. He glanced at the time. 2:45 am. Perfect. A few hours of sleep would definitely be good.

And so, at 5:45 in the morning, exactly three hours later, Rafe's alarm went off, making Iris groan. She was surprised to see the boy beside her. Did the cops ever come? Likely not. She glanced at her phone to see the time. What the fuck was he doing up so early?

"Rafe, why do you have an alarm set for 5:45 in the morning?"

He quickly shut it off, "Uh, I've got some work to do for uh, for my dad. I want it to be done earlier rather than later."

"This is excessively early."

"It's fine, it's fine." He said, getting up, "Look, go back to bed, I'll be back later, I promise."

But she knew something was up.

"Rafe-"

He kissed her forehead quickly then placed his lips on hers, "I love you. Go back to sleep, ocean eyes."

Even though they hadn't re-labelled what this mess of a relationship was, Iris enjoyed him being sweet, when it came out, of course.

"Fine." She mumbled back, rolling over, waiting for Rafe to leave.

Then she got up, collected her things, and ran home. She needed to be a few steps ahead of Rafe today because clearly something was going on. And she knew that it had to do with Gavin and the gun that Rafe used.

Rafe arrived at Barry's that morning around 7:00.

"Country club, you're here early today." Barry laughed, walking out of his trailer to greet Rafe, "Now, ain't I supposed to be blackmailing you or some shit like that?"

Right. He forgot that Barry knew about Peterkin.

Rafe took off his helmet, resting it on his bike, "Have at it. The cops grilled me already." He got off of his bike, "But what do you have to say to them, I mean, half the towns said shit already, you know? You got, you got nothing, man."

Barry looked up at him, "What you here for then? Come over here and rub all that shit in my face?"

"To hook you up. Wanna make some money?"

"What type of stupid-ass question is that?"

"You used to work for water and power, yeah?" He asked, the "yeah" gliding its way into his vocabulary.