forty-three

The day of the sentencing came around

Rafe hadn't turned himself in.

Iris hadn't talked to the cops still. She had barely left her house. She was so fucking anxious, all the time.

Everyone, except Rafe and Iris, were at the courthouse. John B was charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. And if he was convicted, the maximum sentence for him would be death. Harsh for a 17 year old.

And that worried Iris. Because that was supposed to be Rafe.

"Iris isn't here. Why isn't Iris here?" JJ muttered to himself.

"We know exactly why she isn't here." Pope snapped back, looking at Ward and Rose.

They listened to people talking about how John B deserved it, but it wasn't true. Rafe, was the one who deserved it. And Kie had had enough.

"Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

The man shot back, "He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court!" Kie yelled, pointing at Ward, "You should because you're a murderer! You have a lot of nerve showing up to court."

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay?" Ward began as Kie snapped back.

"Upset?"

"I know he's got you fooled, he's got you all fooled!"

"No, I'm not just upset!" Kie said, charging forward as JJ and Shoupe pulled her back.

"Show some respect!" Ward yelled.

"Get off of her!" Pope yelled to Shoupe.

"Why don't you take the Kooks down for a change, Shoupe?" JJ yelled.

"You wanna get arrested? Get out! You need to go!" Shoupe yelled back.

"This is bullshit." Kiara spat.

"Come on. Look, it's not worth it." Sarah said.

And as Ward and Rose began to leave, Kiara turned around once more, "It's not a coincidence that your daughter is sitting with us."

And Ward had to take a breath to calm down.

Back at John B's, the bunch talked in the porch, "I'm going to testify under oath. I was there. I just need to get ahold of my sister, and Iris."