twenty-two

Kiara2 missed calls

Kiara
2 missed calls

What the hell? Kie would never call me...

Iris was curious to know what was going down, but she and Rafe were actually on good terms and she didn't want to fuck it up.

She tried to call Tatum, because well, she hadn't really heard from her in a few days, but it went to voicemail. She figured she would try again later.

"Are you coming?" Rafe yelled from outside.

"Yes, Rafe, calm down." Iris responded, stepping outside to see him standing by the hammock.

"Me, you, in the hammock."

"We are not having sex in the hammock."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, I never said that, but that's a great idea." Rafe grinned as he whispered in her ear, "Naughty, very naughty."

"Oh, stop."

Rafe laid down in the hammock and Iris followed suit as he wrapped his arms around her. Rafe could feel her heartbeat, which calmed him, and vice versa, as she could feel his.

It was dark out and the night was loud. Crickets chirped and the occasional frog would ribbit every so often. Yet the two of them just laid there and took everything in, occasionally exchanging words.

A car pulled up around 2 in the morning just as they began to doze off and Iris recognized it to be her fathers.

Rich gave the two a tired smile, "You two are still awake? I'm shocked."

"We don't have a bedtime anymore."

"I can see that."

"How was work?"

"Long and exhausting, honey. I was supposed to go fishing with Ward and Sarah's new boyfriend, but they're leaving soon and I don't have the mental capacity for it right now."

So she was right.

"You were going?" Rafe asked, his eyes filled with darkness.

But she realized Rafe wasn't included. Now why was that-

"Yeah, your dad didn't tell you?"

"He didn't invite me." Rafe mumbled.

Rich's face fell slightly, "Oh, um-"

Iris gave Rafe a glance before turning back to her father, cutting off his response, "Well, get some sleep then and rest up."

"I plan on it." Rich gave them another smile, "You know, you two remind me of your mother and I at your age. We used to camp a lot during the summers and stay up all night."

Iris smiled, "Guess it runs in the family."

Rich nodded, "Goodnight you two."

"Goodnight dad."