ninety-two

*don't kill me if I've used this pic before! also

*don't kill me if I've used this pic before! also...don't kill me for the chapter ending...I did what I had to do babes...but it's all gonna work out dw🤍*

Twenty minutes earlier...

"So, what? You're just going to leave with all of them again? We just got you back!" Her dad argued with her.

"They need me." Iris stood her ground.

"We need you, Iris. Rafe, Rafe needs you too. You're going to break his heart all over again." Her mom said, tears pricking her eyes.

"He'll understand."

"I don't think he will, sweetie." She paused, "Please just stay. We just got you back, like your father said."

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions."

"You're making the wrong one, Iris." Rich said, shaking his head, "If something goes wrong again-"

"It won't! Okay?"

"How do you know?"

"Because we're taking Ward's plane! It's safe-"

"Anything to do with Ward Cameron, anything, is not safe!"

Lily sighed, "Rich, please-"

"You just need to let me do this, okay? I started this with them and this is how we finish it." Iris pleased, "I'll come home. I swear."

"In six weeks? In a body bag? What will it be this time?" Rich asked.

"A few days, okay? No more than that." Iris paused, gulping, "If something goes wrong, I'll come home as soon as I can."

"Nothing will change your mind, will it?" Lily asked softly as Iris shook her head, "Rafe's going to be upset with you. You know that, right? You need to say goodbye."

"Look, if I don't go and something bad happens, I'll forever regret not being there to help."

"This is a bad idea." Rich sat, shaking his head again.

"It's my bad idea." Iris said, grabbing her bag, "I have to go, okay? I'm sorry, I am, but I have to do this. You understand, don't you?"

"You're determined, I'll give you that." Rich muttered, "Like your mother, stubborn as hell."

Lily laughed softly, "I understand."

"I'll be safe."

"I'd hope so." Lily gulped.

"If anything goes wrong-"

She cut her dad off, "I'll come home. I know. I love you guys."

Iris barely heard them say those three words back as she fled, knowing she would stay if she didn't leave immediately. She ran to Tannyhill, but she didn't see the motorbike, yet his truck was there