twenty-three

Iris drove down to the Chateau, where John B was waiting anxiously

Iris drove down to the Chateau, where John B was waiting anxiously. He looked like a hot mess.

"What the hell happened to you? Fishing trip gone wrong?" Iris chuckled as he stared at her with a straight face.

"Fishing went very wrong, Iris, very fucking wrong."

"What the hell happened?"

"Ward Cameron knows that we found the gold and he killed my dad. Then he tried to kill me on the boat." John B said with a fake smile.

Ward knew they found the gold, which meant Iris' dad probably knew too.

But Ward killing Big John? Was her dad in on it too?

And attempting to kill John B?

"Okay, hold on, what?" Iris said as she tried to piece everything together.

"I know. They barely believed me too."

"Who?"

"Pope, JJ, Kie." John B sighed, "Even Sarah."

"Well, of course, it's her dad."

"Iris." John B stood up, running a hand through his hair, "Did you mention the gold to your dad?"

"What? No!"

"You're sure? You're 100% sure he never overheard-"

"No, John B, I never spoke about it at home. And I wouldn't say anything to him either, I can promise you that."

"Okay, well, Ward must've overheard Sarah or I talking about it or figured it out some other way."

"Are you going to go to the police? I mean, he tried to kill you."

"I've got to."

"And if he really killed your dad? What-" Iris' eyes widened.

What about her dad? Rafe had once mentioned that their dads were working together to try and find the gold.

"What?"

"Did my dad, did he, was he, was he there?"

"Not when Ward killed him. He did mention that your dad tried to help find the gold too, but was pretty preoccupied with his actual career."

"Sounds about right." Iris bit the inside of her cheek, "But still, he had the maps of the Crain house, so he must've known more than he led on."

"Maybe he did. I also think he just doesn't want to get too involved in business with Ward."

"I agree." Iris hummed.

Now, Rafe said he was going to go golfing with Topper but what really happened was...

For the last few days not only was he crashing at Barry's but also at another Figure 8 family's house, The Glissons, who were gone for the summer, and definitely did not know he was staying there.