ninety-eight

Rafe
We need to talk when you get back tomorrow.

Iris stared at the the text as she was pulled up to her and Rafe's house.

The articles were release shortly after yesterdays ceremony. He definitely saw them.

She had texted back last night, but...

Iris
Okay babe❤️

He hadn't replied, which was fine.

She got out of the car and grabbed her bag, making her way towards the house as she punched in the code, opening the door.

"I'm home!" She exclaimed, hearing nothing, "Rafe?"

Shutting the door behind her, and locking it, she heard his footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Hey." She sighed as their eyes met.

"Welcome home." He replied, tearing his eyes from hers, "Did you have fun with your friends?"

Ah, there it is already.

"The ceremony was fine, thanks for asking." She replied, changing the subject.

"Why didn't you tell me you were going home for that?"

"Because I knew you'd react this way-"

"React this way? You mean me being upset over my fathers fucking death, which was caused by the people that you were with and honouring-"

"The ceremony was also honouring me, Rafe!" She cut him off, "God, I know, I know it's been hard for you to deal with your dads death, but this one little thing was for me, for me, and I didn't tell you about it because I knew you'd bring this shit up!"

"Bring this shit up?"

"It's always about you." She pointed her finger into his chest, looking up at him.

"Oh come on, Iris, as if you're being like this right now. You know exactly how much my father meant to me and that's why I get so frustrated and upset when his death is brought up-"

"He meant so much to you? Did you forget you tried to have him killed?"

"Hey! I took that back pretty quickly! I realized my mistake!" He paused, looking away for a brief moment, "But that's not what we're talking about right now. We're talking about you and why you didn't tell me-"

"I just fucking told you! I just told you! Were you not listening? Because I knew you'd have something to say about your dad!"

"Because you were with the people who made him die!"

"We didn't make him die!" She groaned, "He sacrificed himself, remember?"

"Like I've said one hundred times, Iris, if it wasn't for them and their treasure hunting fucking high, he would still be alive."

"He loved treasure hunting as much as the rest of the group, maybe even more so."

"Sure, whatever."