forty-five

Around the time that Iris had woken up in the hospital, the cops were arriving at Tanneyhill

With a warrant for Rafe's arrest.

"Okay, people, let's do it organized and through. I want two of you in every room. Papers, computers, anything that don't look right." Shoupe yelled out to everyone as people moved throughout the house.

"Vic, I want these people out of my goddamn house. Do you understand me? This is Tanneyhill, you know what that means. I will not have an invasion of 500 police in my house."

"It ain't an invasion, Ward. It's a warrant. Now it would help if you'd just let us know where Rafe is."

Shit.

"I told you I don't know where Rafe is. What does he have to do with any of this? He has nothing-"

"Would you read the goddamn warrant?"

Ward sighed frustratedly and read it. It clearly said he was being charged with murder in the second degree. Fuck.

"Jesus, Vic. Murder? Rafe? You've known him his whole life. He did not do this. John B is the one that did this."

They had known Rafe his whole life. He was someone who had been terrified of Ward, and would do anything to please him or make him happy.

"We got Rafe's fingerprints on the bullet casings and the gun was registered to you."

Now that was true as well. And it wasn't a good thing.

"John B was staying here. You know when I took him in, he took the bullets-"

"Yeah, well, we have three eyewitnesses that contradict your statements." The SBI agent said as he stepped in.

John B. Sarah? Iris?

It had to be.

"They're lying, all of them."

"Oh?"

"John B did it. I told you that. You know it too."

"Ward, you know what they say about being in a hole?" Shoupe asked, "Best thing you can do is stop digging. This has implications for you as well."

And Bratcher continued with, "Bottom line, Mr. Cameron. You lied to us. We can prove it. I know this has gotta be tough for you but your cooperation would be taken into consideration. So, is there anything you wanna tell us about who really killed Sheriff Peterkin?"

"Ward." Rose said sternly from the top of the staircase and the two shared a look.

"I need to speak with Lily Campbell."

"Yeah, that's what I figured." Shoupe replied.

"Alright. Let's bag em and tag em." Bratcher said as they walked off, "We got a lot of house to cover."