Chapter 74

Hola, bonjour, hello. 

I am back on my hands and knees for your forgiveness.

And there are 300k reads on this story now and I had 250 notifications waiting for me. So, to say it lightly, I have been gone for far to long. August 25th, supposedly, was the last time I updated. 

My bad.

BUT HOLY S*%T 300 F*&#ING K THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!

Keefe's POV

Somewhere within Keefe, he felt like he was drowning in his own happiness. Staring at the beautiful, tiny baby in his girlfriend's arms. Edaline, Elwin, and even his own father were all smiling, soft chatter floating through the room. 

He felt drunk, his mind overwhelmed with so many emotions. He leaned over, needing the cott to hold his weight. Sophie looked up at him, eyes filled with joyous tears, a smile on her lips. 

"Do you want to hold her?" she asked him. His eyes snapped down to Sophie's and she held the baby carefully, rocking her subtly against her chest. Keefe licked his lips, eyeing her collarbone. She must have followed his gaze and softly rolled her eyes. 

"I would love to hold her," he said. But he gulped, the image of beautiful Calla falling out of his arms and hitting the ground with an earth rattling sound. He shivered slightly and Sophie narrowed her eyebrows on him. "B-But, maybe it's better if I don't."

Sophie's face softened. 

"Come sit down next to me," she told him, scooting over in the bed while carefully holding little Calla. He bit his lip, eyes darting over to Grady to see him sending a furious glare his way. Keefe quickly looked away, carefully slipping into bed beside her. 

"Hold your arms like this," she told him, demonstrating to him. He did the same, and watched as she carefully laid the baby in his arms. He flinched, eye trained on her pale face as he leaned over so the little baby was held in the middle of the bed. 

"See? Was that so bad?" she asked him, peering around his fluffy hair to look into his blue eyes. To her surprise, he found them glittering with tears as he stared down at the baby, softly rocking her against his chest. 

"L-Look at her eyes, Sophie," he whispered, struggling to make words as he felt a sob building in his chest. He leaned down, hair falling in front of his face as he softly bumped his nose against the babys. "They are so beautiful," he whispered against Calla's face.

Sophie's smile widened and she reached over, running her fingers across his trembling back as he held the baby in his arms. 

"You better look like your mama when you grow up, I'll love you even more if you do," he whispered, pulling away. He turned to look at his girlfriend, but she was blurry through the tears filling his eyes. 

"Keefe, I think it's time we head home," she told him. 

"Ah ah, wait a second there, Sophie Foster," Elwin quickly said. "I need you to stay here until I make sure Calla is stable, she's still a bit skinnier than I wanted her to be when she was born."

Sophie bit her lip, peering over to Keefe who had looked up from the baby, looking as though he was staring through Elwin. 

"Of course, I'll stay here with her," Sophie said quickly. Elwin nodded. 

"She'll need to be fed quite a lot," he said before hurrying off into his private office. 

"I'm staying as well," Keefe said quickly before the adults could begin to speak again. As Edaline began to claim another place in the infirmary, Grady's knuckle popped. Keefe winced at the sound, quickly ducking his head to avoid his eyes. 

"Go home, mom, dad, we're all tired," Sophie softly said. "Keefe can take care of me and Calla," she told them. Grady didn't look convinced, but neither did Edaline. She bit her lip, reaching over and taking Grady's arm into her hand. 

"Hun," Edaline said. "Sophie's right, they'll be okay."

Grady's jaw clenched. 

"Alright," Grady sneered, eyeing Keefe once more. Keefe leaned down, softly nuzzling his nose against the baby's cheek. 

"We'll come tomorrow, alright Sophie?" Edaline said, walking over to the bed and softly kissing her daughter's forehead. She softly stroked Calla's head, cooing a few sweet nothings to the baby before pulling away and tugging her husband out the door. Sophie softly smiled and Keefe held Calla out to her. She softly took the baby back into her arms. 

"Alright, Sophie, let me see her," Elwin said, walking back into the room. He leaned down, taking Calla into his arms. 

"I'll be back, give me a few moments to check her more closely," he told them. Sophie watched him go into the office, softly stroking the baby's head with his fingers as he went. 

"She'll be okay, won't she?" Sophie asked him. Keefe gave her a small nod, raising his head to face her. 

"Of course, she's got a strong mother behind her," he said confidently. 

"And a strong father," Sophie added quickly, softly patting his chest. He bit his lip, wanting to shake his head. But she softly patted her chest, squirming around in the bed so she lay almost flat. Keefe hesitated, slowly turning on his side and lying his head onto her chest, nuzzling between her breasts.

"I feel like I'm already messing up," he whispered to her, pulling his head up. She looked down at him, reaching out to softly cup his face in her hands. His shining blue eyes stared up at her. "I feel like this is my fault that's she's faded, that she's unhealthy."

Sophie narrowed her eyes at him, realizing how upset this was making him. She reached up, brushing away a few strands of his blonde hair.

"Keefe, this is not your fault," she said to him, stroking his cheek. "If anything it's both of our faults, but we didn't know."

"But I should've known," he whispered, putting his forehead onto her chest as if giving up. His warm breaths feathered her blank skin while his teeth gripped her hospital gown. He softly kissed at the valley in between her breasts. 

"Yes perhaps we both should have thought a bit harder about it all, shouldn't we," she said softly, running her hands through his rats nest of blond locks. He reached his hands to her waist, leaning up a bit to kiss her collarbone nicely. He slowly pushed himself up on his elbows, carrying himself over her body. 

"Can I?" he asked. She nodded and he set himself down on her stomach, careful to not put too much weight on her slowly deflating skin. He wrapped his arms around her waist, continuing to softly lap at the skin. 

"I love you," he whispered. "I love you so much."

She grinned, running her hands across his face and towards his nose. She softly stroked his cheek bones and around his eyes, smoothing his eyebrows. 

"I love you too, Keefe, nothing will ever change that."

Hola, how you all doing? I get this wasn't a very productive chapter, but it's an update soooooooo yeah. 

Here's the question of the day:

What hero do you really hate and why?