Chapter 43 (Trigger Warning)

This chapter includes some things that may trigger readers. Rape is mentioned.

(How many of your hearts dropped when you read that sentence?)

Keefe's POV

I rushed to throw my clothes on after my dad left the room, the same crease Sophie always teased me about coming between my eyebrows. I got on a sweatshirt and ran out of my bedroom down, tumbling down the stairs to the light leaper. 

"Havenfield!" I shouted, letting the warm tingly feeling take me away.

I arrived outside the house. At first, I thought everything seemed fine, but then the emotions hit me. So many feelings were being hurdled at me and my head began to strain. The grass around me seemed to die as I walked toward the darkening home. It wasn't the beautiful light place I went for comfort when his dad was being a brat. But now looked like a haunted house Sophie had described to him. 

3rd Person POV

He knocked on the door and he winced when he opened the door to see Edaline crying her eyes out. Grady was behind her, his arm wrapped around her waist and...

Was he crying?

They opened the door a bit more, Grady giving him the smallest and fakest smile Keefe had ever seen. Edaline bit her quivering lip, looking up at Grady for a second before shaking his hand off and walking farther into the house. Keefe was about to ask what was going on, but Grady simply shook his head, signalling for him to be quiet. Keef walked into the house and nothing looked out of the ordinary. 

But everything felt out of the ordinary.

"Hey, Grady? What's going on? Where's Sophie?" Keefe eventually asked. Grady bit his lip before pointing up the staircase. Keefe bit his lip, walking up the stairs slowly and knocking on Sophie's door. No one answered and he looked down the stairs to see Grady and Edaline looking up at him with a worried look. Keefe didn't like how clingy they were being and wondered if this was how Sophie thought he was. 

He reached for the handle as he turned around, but raised an eyebrow when he realized it was locked. He jingled with the handle for a second before biting his lip even harder. 

"Sophie?" He whispered to the door. He heard some sniffles come from the other side and bit his lip, lying his forehead on the door. "Sophie, what happened?" Keefe asked. He heard the door handle jingle for a second before he was tugged inside, the door slamming behind him. Sophie locked the door once again and when Keefe eventually looked over to his girlfriend, he gasped. 

The little makeup she put on her face was messed up, her mascara running down her cheeks. She was wearing a sweatshirt and her eyes were red, her cheeks and lips puffy. She was also wearing oversized sweatpants that dragged along her floor.

Keefe opened his mouth to say something but Sophie shook her head, turning away from him and walking over to her bed, tugging her legs to her chest as she stared into space. Keefe slowly approached her, her eyes not moving. 

"Sophie, tell me what happened," Keefe told her slowly, sitting down beside the girl. She seemed like she was going to shatter any second. Keefe slowly wrapped his arms around the girl, but she flinched, shoving him away, tears beginning to fly down her cheeks. 

"Don't touch me," she told him, her eyes making his heart break. 

Her tone made him begin to pay attention to her emotions and she was in pain, physically and emotionally. Her head seemed to be hurting the most and Keefe quickly realized the emotion being thrown at him harder than the rest was guilt. 

"Sophie, please, tell me what happened," Keefe pleaded to the girl staying a safe distance away from her. She bit her lip, shaking her head and lying her head on her folded arms that were resting on her knees. 

"You're gonna be mad," she whimpered to him. He frowned, shaking his head and slowly scooting closer to her. She shook her head, scooting away from him. 

"Sophie, I won't yell, if that's what your worried about," he whispered to her, trying to look into her beautiful brown eyes. But she quickly looked away when their eyes met, turning away from his handsome face. 

"Sophie, please, just give me a small hint-" he started, buts he turned to him, tears once against streaming down her cheeks.

"Fitz raped me!" She cried.