Chapter 56

3rd Person POV

Sophie walked out of Elwin's office with Edaline, Keefe and Grady immediately standing up and showering her with questions.

"What happened? Why are you sick?" Keefe asked her, cupping her cheeks in his hands. She bit her lip, but shrugged.

"It was just a cold, nothing serious," she told him, hating to lie. But she had to, it wasn't his time to know. She wasn't sure how he would react, so she would just have to drop subtle hints until she knew whathe wanted. There were two way this could come out. 

One: He could want a child. 

And in that case.

Great!

Or Two: He could not want a child.

And in that case...

Sophie's mind wasn't going to go there unless it had to.

Keefe took her home and he laid her down on her bed, closing the blinds. She liked the darkness better, just because her eyes had become a bit more sensitive to the light. Or maybe that was the baby doing it's thing, she wasn't completely sure. 

He laid down next to her, spooning her from behind and began softly kissing her neck.She smiled, but soon realized where this could go. She may have been guilty of looking into Edaline's thoughts when she had blanked out for a few moments. It had gone there with Grady, and Sophie was not letting the same thing happen to her. So she sat up, and Keefe looked at the empty spot in front of him, blinking in confusion. Sophie turned, her legs lying over the bedside and kicking the frame while pulling an eyelash out. Keefe sat there in silence for a bit. 

"Foster, what's wrong?" Keefe asked her, sitting up. He scooted over to her side of the bed, lowering her hand from her poor eyelashes. Sophie bit her lip, trying to think of an excuse. She had never been a great liar, so this would be really hard. 

"I'm not in the mood Keefe, I'm sorry," she told him. But when she saw the hurt flash in his eyes, she suddenly regretted her excuse and bit her lip harder as she stood from the bed. He stood up behind and she walked toward her bathroom, the cramps in her stomach only seaming to get worse. Keefe stood on the outside of the bathroom, watching as she splashed her face with cold water to stop her eyes from closing. But he walked over to her, turning the sink off and picking her up and into his arms. He laid her back onto her bed, shaking his head. 

"Foster, your tired, stop trying to stay awake because of me," he told her. She couldn't tell him that she wasn't trying stay awake for him but so she could stand. Standing made her cramps feel better than lying, scrunched into her bed. But she gave him a painful smile, nodding. She tried her best to give him a fake yawn, and he seemed to fall for it. He smiled to her, kissing her forehead and walking out of the room, closing the door behind him. Sophie immediately got out of bed, running for the bathroom and closing the door behind her, throwing up into the toilet. 

She wanted to blame the baby, but she couldn't get herself to do it.

She'd blame the mallowmelt she had the night before.

She tried to keep it as quiet as possible, but someone entered up her room. They knocked on the bathroom door, but Sophie felt too nauseous to look up from the toilet to see who it was. But someone began rubbing circles on her back and she realized those were woman fingers. Her mom had come to comfort her. 

"Mom," Sophie whined. Edaline nodded in sympathy. Her daughter continued to stay there, spit dripping from her plump lips before she stood up, flushing the toilet. Her mom nodded, hugging her daughter's face to her chest she saw tears coming to her eyes.

"Will it be worth it?" Sophie asked her mom. Edaline softly smiled. 

"Every penny," she told her daughter, before frowning. "That's what they say, right? Every penny?"

Sophie smiled up at her mom, nodding. Her mom smiled with her before walking toward the sink. She grabbed a wash cloth, running it under the steaming water and waving Sophie over to the bed. Her mom dimmed the lights, waiting for Sophie to lie down on her bed. 

"Lie flat on your back and role your shirt up to your breasts," Edaline told her daughter. Sophie did what she asked. Edaline laid the hot rag on her stomach and Sophie let out a breath. The caring mother then walked back into the bathroom coming out with another rag. It was a bit colder than room temperature and laid it on the girl forehead. She then turned on the overhead fan (?) in Sophie room. 

"Now, I'm just warning you, you're probably not going to sleep very well these next few days, but once you tell Keefe and he's willing to snuggle with you while you have a fight with the blankets,  you'll be fine," Edaline told her daughter. She then kissed her cheek and walked toward the door. But before closing the door behind her, she peered back into her daughters bedroom.

"And if you get cold, tuck your feet under the blanket, it'll help, I promise." then, she walked out, quietly closing the door behind her. Sophie sighed, staring up and the twirling fan above her. 

She was never going to be ready for this. 

But then again, who ever was?

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry for being late, and an extra I'm sorry for having it be a shorter chapter. I try to make chapters at least 1000 words each, but this one only got to 969, so I am extra sorry for that.

:)