Chapter 76 (Slightly Mature)

2/4

Keefe's POV

Keefe could tell, when he woke up, that he was dreaming. It had been a while since he had entered the fantasy land, but this place looked very familiar to him. It was his beach side house. He bit his lip, looking out to the waves and found clouds. Quickly, he walked over to the railing of the deck, looking up at the sky and finding waves crashing down in the sky as if they were waves.

"Keefe!" a girl's distressed voice shouted. It echoed down the silent desk, as if walls made up the railings. Keefe whirled around on his heel, looking down the deck and found it looking as if it went on forever, the wood stretching out to the horizon in the distance. "Keefe, help!"

He turned around and felt his stomach drop when he found Sophie standing in the middle of the deck, her eyes wide as she stared at him in horror.

"What is it, Sophie?" he asked, a sinking feeling filling his gut when he realized she wasn't looking at him.

"Keefe, help! He's coming for me again!" she cried, turning around but quickly tripping on a loose board which was usually not there. Keefe rushed for her, but found himself teleported back to the spot he had been standing. He ran for her again, outstretching a hand to try and touch her blank feet, but was shipped right back to his place.

But this time, someone different was standing in front of him, their back turned to him.

Fitz.

"Keefe!" Sophie cried.

"Sophie!" he tried to yell, but his mouth wouldn't move. He couldn't use his vocal cords at all.

His world was silent.

"H-hold, on Sophie, Fitz you stay..." breathing became too hard, "s-stay away from her-"

He collapsed to his knees, but was teleported back to his feet, watching in horror as Fitz grabbed Sophie by the arm and shoved her down on her back.

"Please, Keefe!" she sobbed.

"N-no," he whispered, collapsing back to his knees.

"Keep him away from..." she cried out, "Calla."

"Keefe!" Sophie's voice shouted, but it sounded closer. He sat up, eyes blurry looking up at the sky as both Sophie and Fitz disappeared from his view. "Keefe, wake up, it's okay, it's a dream, wake up, I don't like this," her voice said. "Keefe, wake up, I don't like this."

He snapped his eyes open, sitting up from the cott and taking a deep breath, the health care center's cold water stinging his throat.

"Hey, Keefe," Sophie whispered from behind him. His eyes shot down to his empty arms, rapidly searching for Calla. "Keefe, it's okay, she's right here."

He turned around, his frantic eyes landing on the baby girl in her arms. She stared at him with a sad smile on his lips, Calla happily sucking on one of her breasts. Her skin was already starting to look less pale, her multicolored eyes glittering as she reached up to grab at her source of milk. Keefe looked back up at Sophie and found her staring at him, a worry line forming between her eyebrows.

"Sorry," he whispered, turning back around, his shoulders falling.

"Elwin? Can you take Calla for a little bit?" she called. Keefe was surprised to see the physician walk out of his office, looking much less tired than he had the night before. The sun was shining into the health center, kids walking outside and trying to figure out why the usually empty health care room was locked.

"Of course, Soph, let's see her," he said, reaching his arms out to her. She gently set Calla in his grip, much to the baby's dismay, the child breaking out in a few angry sobs for being ripped away from her source of food. "Oh, don't make a fuss, Calla, I've got plenty of formula back here for you."