31

"It was a long time ago, Remus. You were about five so you could only grasp what happened by what other people told you what had happened." Hope started, "You see it was the day when your father had went and did Fenrir's case. When he got home, I had already put you to bed, and I asked him how his day was. He was furious. He told me how he was laughed at for telling people this man, who was being trialed for the murder of two muggle children, was a werewolf. He then told me how he had said werewolves were soulless, and evil and deserved nothing but death right in front of the man. It was then I got furious with him. Who tells a man, who is being convicted of murder and may be a werewolf, that his kind deserve nothing but death? It was what we were arguing about because I was worried the man would come and hurt us, hurt you most of all Remus, and get his revenge for what he said.

"Of course, your father argued back how it was the truth and that werewolves were savage beasts. He also claimed that if Fenrir came here, he wouldn't let him hurt us. Well, it was then fate decided to test what he was saying," 

"Because Fenrir came into my room and attack me." Remus cut in. 

"No, son." Hope told him, "That was what your father wanted you to think. Before the argument began, I had bake pies for a bake sale coming up and had set them on the windowpane to cool. Of course, of all the windows to set those pies on, I set them by the dining hall's window. The one nearest to the door. Fenrir reached in and unlocked the door then proceeded into our house." 

"At first, we didn't notice him in our house. We were still too busy arguing until he pushed the door into the wall. I was scared. Your father was furious. The two of them started to argue back and forth. But Fenrir only wanted an apology for what your father had said. Nothing more and nothing less. I thought it was a fair trade and demanded your father to take it. But for some reason, he was too determined not to back down. It was then I noticed you, Remus, walking into the room. I went to grab you. When I grabbed you and went to hurry back to your father, Fenrir had already made a lunge at your father... then the next I know, I feel this tug on my shoulders as I'm being pushed in front of Fenrir. However, I wasn't the one who got bit." 

"I did." Remus mumbled. 

"Yes," Hope whisper, her voice cracking, "I was horrified to find your father had pushed us in front of Fenrir to protect himself. My mind at first couldn't believe it, but every time I looked at your scar, the memory came back. When Fenrir released his bite from you Remus, there was regret in his eyes and he ran out of there just as horrified as I was." 

"And then he stole the pie." Tonks mumbled. Everyone lightly chuckled as Hope nodded her head. 

"Is that the real reason you got a divorce from dad?" Remus asked. 

"Yes. How could I trust him after that? How could I feel safe knowing he was willing to let us get hurt. I couldn't even trust him with me and I most certainly couldn't trust him with you. I was afraid every weekend you had to go with him due to our divorce, that you were going to be hurt or worse killed. And he would cover that up like he did with Fenrir and I knew no one would believe me. I tried to tell them the truth about how you really got bit, but no one believed all because they knew your father and how kind and caring he was that they were all like 'there's no way, Lyall wouldn't do that to his own kid' crap. They started to call me insane." Hope explained to them. 

"But how did you and Fenrir get to be buddies?" Ginny asked. Hope laughed. 

"That was when I found in my kitchen holding onto my pie dish."