Chapter 56 - Car Chase

It's been two weeks since Vaughan started college, and it was already getting quite out of hand. For the past two weeks, Vaughan finished preparing a report on Mozart, performed an original song for a presentation, attended choir rehearsal and now she had to practice for a musical theatre presentation that would take place the Monday after the weekend.

She was practicing her lines one for time for the night up in her apartment when her phone rang. 

She vented an annoyed sigh. She had to get her lines memorized in time for the presentation. She didn't want to mess this up. So far she's been having a pretty good streak, and she didn't want to break that record.

She stormed over to her iPhone, swiping the screen as she raised it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Vaughan! Oh thank goodness you answered!" Daphine explained.

From the sound of her voice, it seemed as if she was... crying.

"Daphine? What's wrong?" Vaughan asked with concern.

Her once annoyance edge just seemed to vanish. 

"It's my car! It got stolen while I was in class!" Daphine bawled.

Now that was a problem. There have been reports of increased car theft in New York City for the last couple of days now. It was like it was happening out of no where. Well, this was the Big Apple after all. 

"When did you notice your car was missing?"

"When I got out of class, I went out into the parking lot to take my car over to the car wash, cause it was looking a little scrumpy, and some jerks hijacked it and took off!" She explained.

It was clear that this was hard for Daphine to talk about. After all, your first car is a really big deal, and to have it stolen is an even bigger deal!

"Did you call the police?" Vaughan asked the girl, taking a seat on the couch. "You're not hurt are you?"

Daphine sniffled. "No... The police have been looking into these cases since they first began. It's been getting so out of hand, they even called the Autobots to ask for help. They said they'd keep an eye out for it, but considering how many cars have been stolen in the last while, they're not so sure they'll be able to find it... I don't know what else to do!"

"Did you call your parents? What did they say?" Vaughan asked. 

"My dad said that if the police don't find my car, he said he'd be more than happy to help buy me a new one, but I don't want to put him through all of that." she muttered. 

Vaughan sighed, leaning her back against the couch, processing all of the information in her head. "Okay, how about this... do you want some help in finding your car?"

"Really Vaughan? You'd help me find it?" Daphine perked up.

"Of course! I'll do everything that I can to help. That's what friends are for after all." Vaughan smiled.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Daphine exclaimed, this time crying tears of joy. 

"Just give me a couple minutes to make a call. I'll meet you at your dorm later." Vaughan replied.

"Okay, thanks again Vaughan! You're the best!" Daphine praised before hanging up her phone.

Vaughan squrried off the couch, cleaning up her work and putting it all back in her backpack before dialing a number on her iPhone, raising it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Optimus? It's me, Vaughan. Do you guys still have that small outpost here in New York?.... You do? Perfect! I need a favor to ask you."