Chapter 43 - Autobot Day

After a long week of hard core studying, and working on the performance for the Autobot Day parade, Vaughan Witwickey's 18th birthday had finally arrived. 

She was wide awake the next morning, the rush of excitement coursing through her body as she got dressed for the day. Since she was performing at Mission City today, she got permission to miss school today. 

Three day weekend! 

Vaughan smiled at the thought as she changed into her clothes. Today she wore a black tank top with a red plaid long sleeve shirt over top, grey capris, and her neon pink shoes.

She was extra excited about coming to Mission City this time around. 

Why?

Because some new Autobots came into town!

That's right! New Autobots!

Vaughan was over joyed when Jazz told her the news. The newbies were Warpath, a red Autobot who could transform into a tank. Then there was Smokescreen, who transformed into a white racing sports car with red and blue highlights and with the number 38 on his sides. Then there was Tracks, a blue Autobot who turned into a flying car. 

Yeah that's right, A FLYING CAR! 

Cars of the future, today! 

Once Vaughan was dressed, she grabbed her laptop, sliding it into her backpack as she picked up her suitcase and raced down the stairs.

Her mother Margret was in the kitchen, placing a bowl of cereal on the counter.

"Easy honey, we don't want this birthday to be your last." She said.

"Sorry mom, I'm just really excited about this weekend, you know?" Vaughan chuckled nervously.

"We won't be leaving for another few minutes so eat your breakfast."

Vaughan sat at the kitchen counter, chowing down on her cereal as her mother handed her something. An envelope with her name on it.

"What is it?" She asked.

"It's a letter from your father." Margret answered with a smile.

"Really?! Maybe he's coming home!" Vaughan exclaimed as she tore the envelope open and ripped the letter out.

She carefully but quickly unfolded it and a photo fluttered out of it. Vaughan picked it up with one hand while still holding the letter with the other. It was a photo of her father, all dressed in his uniform with a wide smile on his face.

Vaughan smiled at the image. She missed her father so very, very much. 

She glanced back at the letter, reading it aloud for her mother to hear. 

"Hey there kiddo! 

Happy Birthday! I still can't believe you're turning 18. My little solider is all grown up. I'll be on my way home soon. I'm sorry I won't be able to come around to visit for your birthday. I'm heartbroken just from writing this. But I promise you I'll be home to see you graduate. You can count on it. Keep this photo to keep me in your thoughts. 

I'll see you soon love. 

Love, Dad." 

As Vaughan read the letter she couldn't help but felt a little down. She sulked a little, setting the papers down on the counter. 

"What's wrong honey? You didn't like it?" Margret asked with concern. 

"Huh? Oh no! Of course not, I love hearing from him. It's just, it would have been cool if he did surprise me, coming home on my birthday. You know?" Vaughan replied.