Chapter 76 - It's A Trap

Vaughan and the others were at Yankee Stadium, which was redesigned just for the Battle Of The Band finals. The stage was set at the very back of the field, while the rest of the playing field would be filled with fold up chairs and standing people, and dozens upon dozens of people up in the bleachers.

The band had practiced a few songs before re-calibrating their instruments for a sound check while Vaughan continued work on the 'Counter Attack' song. Jazz and Blaster called in a head, saying they would be arriving late, but would more than make up the time with extra practice before the finals.

"Check mic, one two... testing..." Raoul tapped his microphone with his finger, but it wouldn't display any sound.

Vaughan noticed the boy having difficulty getting his mic to work, so she sprang into action, walking over to the sound system and turned up the volume. She hoped that her being helpful would help ease the tension between them after what happened during the semis yesterday.

"Testing—!" His voice was so loud that it caused feedback, the entire band covering their ears from the noise as Vaughan quickly shut it back off.

"Maybe now's a good time to take a short break." Spike suggested.

Dispite with the finals being so close, they agreed. They had been practicing non-stop almost all afternoon.

"Hey!" A voice called.

The group looked over to see Oto walking towards them. "How's the practice going?"

"It's okay." Raoul shrugged, strumming his guitar strings.

"Listen, I came by to apologize about the way Rocksteady and Poplock were acting towards you guys. Their my band members, and I should have done more to keep them in control." The blue haired boy apologized.

"I suppose it's alright." Daphine replied slowly.

"Speaking of which, where were you yesterday after your band performed? We didn't see you at all for the rest of the semi-finals." said Spike.

"Oh, uh, a family emergency came up. But it's fine. Don't worry about it." Oto answered after a slight pause.

"So, is apologizing to us the only reason why you're here?" Josh asked.

"Yes, well, no. I wanted to make it up to you guys. There's a smoothie joint just up the street. How about I buy you guys some? A reward for your hard work." Oto suggested.

"Why, that's very kind of you Oto, but you don't have to go through so much trouble just for—"

"But I do." Oto insisted, interrupting Daphine who looked more than surprised.

"Well... okay. Get me a strawberry one." Raoul caved in, giving the boy a small smile.

"I'll take blueberry!" Daphine piped.

"Me too!" Josh and Spike spoke in unison.

"I'll take banana." Andrew ordered.

"What about you Vaughan? What flavour?" Oto asked, looking up at the girl.

"Hmm, I don't know." She thought a loud, then her face lit up. "Tell you what, how about I come with you? You can't possibly carry all those smoothies on your own."

"You have a point there." Oto agreed, waving his hand down. "Come on, if we hurry, we can make it before rush hour."

"Coming!" Vaughan called as she closed up the song book, slipping it in Andrew's backpack.

Before she could walk off the stage, she felt a hand on her shoulder. "Hey Vaughan," She turned around to see Raoul standing before her. "Just be careful, okay? There's just something about Oto I don't trust. They way he spoke to us when we asked him about yesterday." He explained.