Chapter 30 - Old Memories

"Do you have to go daddy?" 

Little Vaughan Witwickey was watching her father, all dressed in uniform, pack up his things for his second tour. He left on his first when Vaughan was a toddler and missed out on her learning to walk for the first time. 

But now on all days for him to leave, he was leaving on her 8th birthday. 

"It's a tough world out there."  Captain Witwickey replied. 

Vaughan slowly walked into the room, eyeing her fathers spare uniform, embedded with a few of his medals and emblems. "Is it because you've gone over there before? You have the experience?"

"Well.... here's the thing darling." 

Captain Witwickey finished folding a shirt before he turned and kneeled in front of her daughter, taking her arms in his hands. "There's some pretty bad things that are happening over seas. So, we need to do everything we can to protect the people from those who want to do them warm. That's where I come in."

"Are you one of those people who protect them?" Vaughan asked.

"That's right." He smiled. "Some of them are kids, just like you."

"Will you help them?" she asked.

"Yes I will. I won't be going alone. You remember uncle Harley? And my friends? They're going back too." her father clarified.

"They will?" Vaughan asked with surprise. 

He nodded. "Yep."

Vaughan's face fell. Not only was her dad leaving but also her extended family. Harley wasn't her actual uncle, but she considered him as an uncle she he and her dad were the best of friends.

"Hey, hey, hey! What's all of this?" the Captain asked, lifting her head up. 

"It's just-- It's hard to see you go. I don't want you to leave again." she sniffled.

"Aw baby, come here." Captain Witwickey pulled his daughter into a hug, rubbing her back. "Believe me, if I could leave any other day then today I would do it in a heart beat. But my commander has requested for me to leave today."

"And you can't disobey an order." said Vaughan. 

"That's right Vaughan, that's right." the Captain sighed. "I'll try and not stay away for too long." 

"Can you come back and visit?" Vaughan asked.

"I'm--I'm not sure honey. There's a lot of work to be done." he answered.

"I see." she replied.

The man pulled away from the hug, stroking his daughters cheek with his thumb as he wipped away the tears before kissing her forehead. "I'll miss you and your mother while I'm gone, you know that right?"

"We'll miss you too." Vaughan spoke.

"Take care of her for me, alright?" he asked.

"I will." she answered with a small smile.

The Captain smiled back, patting her on the shoulder. "That's my little soldier."

He ruffled the small girls hair as he stood up, making her laugh. "I'll still be here for your birthday party. Do you really think I woudl't be aroun to give you your present?"

"You got me something?" Vaughan asked, her eyes twinkling.

"Of course I did! What kind of a father would I be if I didn't get my little soldier a present?" He grinned. "Head on down stairs, your friends will be arriving soon."