Chapter 42 - Surprises At Every Corner

Vaughan had been exhausted for the last month.

It was now the end of May, just a little over a month since her Juliard open house tour.

And the Decepticon attack on New York City.

The good news, the majority of damage took place around the Empire State area, so it was fairly, reasonably easy to get that mess cleaned up.

But once Vaughan and Daphine said their goodbyes to Spike and the Autobots, and got back home to Toronto, it was time to finish end of the year projects and hit the books for final exams.

Vaughan HATED all of this studying. Who wouldn't?

She would study for tons of hours a day with no break, sometimes skipping on meals to solve certain parts she didn't understand.

To keep her focused, Margret confiscated Vaughan's iPhone, and her laptop. The girl would only have them returned to her at the end of the day when her mother was satisfied of her time spent.

Each night Vaughan would have a mind splitting headache.

After the 3rd week into the work she was doing, she didn't want to look at another text book again!

One night Vaughan and her friends were having a study session at Josh's house.

Vaughan's Dubstep songs played quietly in the background as the four teens gathered around a coffee table in the living room, reviewing their notes.

"Any luck on number 7 guys?" Daphine asked.

Her answer was followed by a few tired groans.

"I plan to come back to that one.... Eventually.... Maybe...."

"I just can't figure it." Vaughan muttered, biting her pencil.

"I know! Does Mr. Apatello really expect us to write a three page essay with our exam?! In Physics?" Andrew groaned.

"Actually, I was talking about Human Geography." She corrected, showing him the cover of the book.

"Oh! Want me to take a look?" He asked.

"Nah, that's okay. You're already busy with your load." Vaughan shook her head, eyes back on the books.

"Why DID you take Human Geography anyway?" Daphine asked.

"Since our gym course got cancelled, I had very limited options to choose from. VERY limited." She answered.

"Why not just take a spare like the rest of us?" Daphine asked, a brow raised.

"My mom didn't want me to have one. She wants me to stay focused on my work. Being senior year and all." Vaughan flipped a page, not even looking at her.

"But doesn't she know you're not doing well?" Andrew spoke up.

"Yes, and she gives me the same answer every time I bring home a bad test. Suck it up and study harder. I've tried to talk to her into letting me drop the course, but she won't hear it. She wants me to pass this course." Vaughan explained.

"That's where I come in!" Josh spoke up. "You should be thankful that I invited you over here to study."

"I am actually. I've been so isolated lately, other than school of course. But that's just more learning." Vaughan chuckled.

"Then fear no more! Cause this weekend, you're going to have the break of a lifetime." Andrew grinned.

"Wait, so what does that mean?" Vaughan asked with confusion.