Chapter 16 - One Way Or Another

Everyone, human and Autobot, crowed around the medical bay as Ratchet and Wheeljack got to work on repairing Optimus Prime. He received insane amounts of damage from the exploding computer and the shots fired from the Decepticon seekers back at the factory.

Everyone was on edge about his condition, especially Vaughan. She didn't want to go through this kind of situation again. She was desperately worried about Optimus. To her, he was kind of like a father figure towards her because Optimus reminded Vaughan so much of her father. It was like they were the same person.

But both being different species.

Uncle Sparkplug also assisted the two Autobots in the job, keeping a close eye on Optimus's instruments for any more damaged that they didn't see.

Vaughan stood with her cousin Spike and their friend Chip, who along with the Autobots stayed silent as they waited and waited for any signs of improvement.

"I don't know fellas. It looks bad." said Sparkplug.

"Bad? How bad?" Vaughan asked.

"What's his prognosis Ratchet?" Wheeljack asked the medic.

"It's a miracle that his hydrolax is still functioning." Ratchet answered with shock.

Miracle. 

That word made Vaughan feel slightly better. It indeed was a miracle. Back at the factory, for a split second she actually thought Optimus Prime was done for. Even after Spike and her attempted to use his gun to fight off the Decepticons before they escaped with the energon.

"My electro pulse... is fading..." Optimus spoke quietly.

"Please Optimus, just save your strength and hang in there." said Vaughan.

"He's doomed, I just know it!" Huffer stuttered worriedly. "I can feel it in my data banks!"

"Nuts to that! There's got to be something we can do." said Chip. 

"Isn't there dad?" Spike asked, a few tears escaping his eyes as he wiped them away. 

"I wish there were son." Sparkplug answered with a sigh. 

That answer made Vaughan start to worry again. Even more than before. She forced her hands into fists and shook them, trying to hold back the tears. 

'Please.... not again...' 

But then a loud and screeching noise interrupted her train of thought and she looked up to see Laserbeak flying around over the Autobots. 

"It's Laserbeak! Stop him!" Ratchet commanded. 

"Don't let him get to--" Laserbeak fired a series of lasers from his eyes and they took a direct hit on Optimus's open chest plate. "OPTIMUS!" Vaughan screamed. 

The wires and circuitry inside Optimus began to spark and fuse together somehow as fire and smoke filtered up into the air. "It's a chain reaction! He's going to blow!" Sparkplug yelled. 

Everyone backed away from the medical bed where Optimus lay and a huge explosion was set off. The force from the blast knocked Spike and Vaughan to the floor, but it was only the girl who got her head hurt and the hit caused her to black out. 

*********

"Daddy?" 

Vaughan peered into the hospital room where her father was staying. Doctors were currently checking him over for any signs of improvement. It had been a few days now since he came home and doctors were saying that it was a miracle that he's been able to stay alive.