Chapter 40 - Empire State Of Mind

Everyone, inside and out, was running for their lives, looking for a safe place to take cover and hide until the craziness was done for. Vaughan could hear the sirens of police cars, fire trucks racing through the streets, trying to reach the location of New York City's tallest structure. The Empire State Building was sinking into the ground.

But how was that even possible?

That's when Vaughan realized; It wasn't.

Something, or should she say, someone, was causing this.

The Decepticons.

As growled under her breath at the thought of them. They were really starting to get on her nerves, a lot more than usual.

She and her friend Daphine followed the rest of the group as they joined the school's students and teachers into being evacuated to the lower underground levels of the school. The overhead speakers came to life, warning everyone to stay inside until it was clear and safe to come out.

The seconds turned into minutes, but to Vaughan it felt like hours.

But finally there was a knock on the doors as police officers waltzed in, helping Vaughan, Daphine and the others out of the building. When they went outside, they couldn't believe their eyes.

The entire building was just, just gone! It sank into the ground and there seemed to be no sign of it.

"Vaughan! Daphine!"

The two girls looked over to see their mothers running towards them, grasping them in their arms.

"Are you two alright?!"

"We were back at the hotel when we heard!"

"We're fine mom." Vaughan assured, hugging Margret.

"Some shakiness, but we're A.O.K." Daphine added.

Margret sighed with relief as Daphine's mother smiled. "Good. We don't know what we'd do if we lost you."

"What do we do now?" Daphine asked. "The tour is over, but now everything and everyone is going crazy."

"Why don't we head back to the hotel?" Margret suggested.

"Bad idea mom. You saw what happened with the Empire State Building! I saw we stay away from tall structures. At least for a short while." Vaughan replied.

"But where should we go?" Daphine's mom asked.

Vaughan cupped her chin, thinking. "Someplace where there's no tall buildings that are too close to us."

"We can scratch the airport off our list. I just got word that the airport is shutting down until further notice." said Margret.

Daphine's face lit up, snapping her fingers. "Hey, I know a place!"

"What?"

"Central Park!" She exclaimed.

"Perfect! We can go their, right in the heart. No buildings even near us. We should be fine there." said Vaughan.

"Well.... Okay honey, if you say so." Margret agreed, reluctantly.

Daphine ran up to the crib, looking around before spotting a yellow vehicle with a sign on the top. She whistled, waving her fist in the air. "HEY YO, TAXI!"

The yellow and black car came to a halt, pulling up beside the four.

"I've got a hint of New Yorker in my blood." Daphine smirked, placing her hands on her hips.

"Sure you do." Vaughan rolled her eyes playfully as she grabbed her friends arm. "Come on, we're wasting day light!"

*******