08

(Y/n) (L/n) is one of the most powerful characters in 'Ways of Survival'. On the earlier chapters, she was referred to as the 'ace'.

There can be different interpretations to her character according to the angle the reader is looking.

To others, she was a puppet and Yoo Jonghyuk was the one controlling the strings.

Others says that she's the protagonist's love interest and has a high chance to be Yoo Jonghyuk's partner.

Then there's some who thinks she's just any other side character made solely for the purpose of making the main character shine.

Those were the people who did not reach the middle of the story.

What about Kim Dokja?

He thinks that the character is a mystery to unravel. People might think that she is easy to understand and anyone can read her like an open book but that's not the case at all.

Take her sacrifice for example. She told Yoo Jonghyuk in the early chapters that she wouldn't risk her life for him or for anyone. She always put herself first and could be described as someone who don't give a fuck about others. Yet she died for him— because she grew attached.

The author did not give her internal monologues and there's very few descriptions about her character and what her past is like. So what's possibly going on in her mind. . . isn't revealed.

"Why the fuck are you staring like I'm about to disappear or sum?" (Y/n) snapped her fingers to snap Kim Dokja out of his trance.

"Wha— huh?" he asked, confusedly.

"You're looking at me as though I'm going to die soon. Cut it out."

"Sorry, there's just. . . things on my mind." (Y/n) nods her head, staring suspiciously at Kim Dokja's neutral expression.

'Who the hell is this guy? And why does he seem to know me?'

(Y/n) heard a cute sound from somewhere and looked back, seeing Yoo Sangah and Lee Gilyoung looking up at Kim Dokja. Their faces were like baby birds waiting for the mother bird, making Kim Dokja laugh.

(Y/n) placed her fist on her mouth to keep herself from laughing aloud. But the action didn't go unnoticed by the rest.

“That reminds me, it is already evening. Aren’t you hungry? Take this one by one.” Kim Dokja handed over the food from the convenience store one by one.

(Y/n) raised an eyebrow at this, can a person really afford  to be compassionate at a time like this?

“Ah. Really? Can I?”

“This time is free. But next time, you should pay for it.”

'Of course he would say that.' (Y/n) mentally scoffed, she really thought.

“Huh? H-How much…?”

“Don’t you all have coins? It is 10 coins for one.”

“T-That…” Confusion filled the faces of Yoo Sangah and Lee Hyunsung. They looked like they hadn’t expected his words.

"It's only fair." (Y/n) commented, taking a rice bar from the tote bag that she was carrying earlier.

“Of course. I will pay right now. I don’t need freebies.” The one who spoke was the woman who had been lying on the bench. She had regained consciousness.

"Oh my fu-! What the hell?" (Y/n) flinch as Heewon's hand was placed on her shoulder, it was damn cold and damn so suddenly.

"And you survived the special scenario with such reflex?" Kim Dokja asked. (Y/n) glared at him.

"I lost too much blood and energy don't start with me Kim Dokja. Aish I could still smell the fucking filth in that graveyard." (Y/n) shivered as she remembered what she had just gone through, Kim Dokja's statement slipping from her mind.

“I am Jung Heewon. Thank you for your help this morning.”

"It's nothing."

"Ehem. Your hand is still on my shoulder, miss." (Y/n) informed Jung Heewon.

"Oh, sorry." Heewon removed her hand.

(Y/n) rubbed the spot with her bandaged hand as though it was burned. Physical contact isn't for her, that's why she quit medicine.

“Yoo Sangah-ssi, Lee Hyunsung-ssi. Everyone, please wake up. It isn’t the time to be making this look. This food, he obtained it by risking his life. Do you expect to get it for free?”

“Ah…” Yoo Sangah turned red like she had woken up. “I was too short-sighted, I’m sorry. Of course we should pay…it is right. I don’t like freebies either. I hate depending on other people.”

“I also agree with Yoo Sangah-ssi. I will pay coins from now on.”

Everyone payed for their food and they were giving (Y/n) odd looks.

"What?" she asked, awkwardly biting into the rice bar as everyone was looking at her.

She chewed the food slowly, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Maybe she's an exemption because she's Dokja-ssi significant other??" Lee Hyunsung uttered, unsure.

(Y/n) accidentally swallowed a huge chunk of rice bar without chewing it first and started choking.

"Ya! Ya! Are you alright?" It was Jung Heewon who placed down her food at patted (Y/n)'s back with force to help her spit out the food.

"I *cough* will fu— *cough* kill *cough*—"

[ The constellation 'Spirit of Chaos' is very much enjoying your misery ]

[ The constellation 'Serpent of Eden' is laughing]

"But that unnie tried to kill hyung? Why are they together?" asked Lee Gilyoung.

"That— (Y/n) brought the tote bag. Not me." Kim Dokja informed, looking at Jung Heewon whose hand were around (Y/n)'s waist, still trying to get the rice bar out.

Then the food was finally on the ground.

"Ah, that's gross. And for your information, I didn't try to kill him." (Y/n) pointed at Kim Dokja.

"I was asking if I should kill him since he knows so much." She said.

"Hey, thanks for helping." (Y/n) spoke, turning to Jung Heewon.

"What do you mean you didn't? You left me in the bridge." Kim Dokja whispered so she could only hear.

"I was bluffing when I told you I can save us both, my skill is at its weakest at the time." (Y/n) whispered back. Kim Dokja hummed, not convinced.

"Bitch, I nearly died too." (Y/n) spoke.

The others stared at the whispering duo, wondering what they're talking about.

"Wait— why are we whispering again?" (Y/n) asked, in her normal voice this time.

"No clue." Kim Dokja responded.

"You sure she tried to kill him? They look pretty close to me." Jung Heewon asked Lee Gilyoung.