22

A young girl was seated in front of a piano, elegantly grazing the keys with her delicate fingers. The melody that the instrument makes is accompanied by her undeveloped singing voice.

When the piece she performed ended, the crowd cheered. (Y/n) bowed her head as a thanks for everyone who attended the party that her father held.

She was a brilliant child— smart, pretty, and talented. She was the daughter that most parents asks for.

She came from a wealthy family, her father is one of the most influential person in not only Korea but the whole world. Her mother is a genius who invented the cure for various diseases and viruses, she was an icon in the medical field.

It is to be expected that they would have a bright offspring.

So when her brother came and did not reach their expectations, the attention was brought to her when she was born. And she didn't fail them.

She was born intelligent, and her future is set in stone. She was extremely talented, and exceedingly aware.

But this gift has a curse, she didn't have a normal life— nor was she considered by others 'normal'. 

She was homeschooled, tought by the most strictest and excellent teachers from across the globe during her early childhood.

She learned languages, literature, history, mathematics, science, and many more. She learned how to paint, how to play various instruments such as the violin, cello, and piano at an early age.

Her parents— or her father rather, pushed her to her limits. It was as though he was trying to fit every knowledge and every skill that a person could learn in her little brain.

But when excellence is expected. . .

"You did good. But I'm sure you can do better."

Praise is considered to be a luxury.

"Yes, father."

The man ruffled her hair before walking away, going to have a chat with his business partners.

(Y/n) didn't like her life, but she knew not to complain when she has a roof above her head and food to eat every day.

She was five years old when her brother left the house to join the military. He was forced to go there, (Y/n) is aware of that. Her only friend. . . gone.

And just as she thought her life has peeked the lowest and saddest point. . . she caught her father cheating with her mother's friend.

"(Y/n). . . "

"You will say nothing to your mother, okay?" Her father stroked her head as she stood there, not knowing what to say.

"You didn't see anything." (Y/n) shook her head, she couldn't believe what she just witnessed.

"She would do something to harm herself  if she found out. .  . "

"This will be a secret between us, alright?"

(Y/n) could not bear to lie to her mother but she did. She knew that she was already having her suspicion. It took her six years to find out about the secret, she managed to get the information out of  (Y/n)'s mouth— who was drowning in guilt.

And one day, after her very first day of studying in a school. Her mother was found dead in front of their mansion. (Y/n) saw her bathing in her own blood. She jumped from the rooftop. . . from the fifth floor.

She was shaking in deep regret, sorrow, disbelief. . . and anger. How could someone take their life just like that?

Did she not think about her and her brother before she killed herself?

On the day of her funeral, she reunited with her brother, who was still the same annoying but caring sibling like she remembered.

That same day, she was hit by her father for the first time.

"I told you not to say anything. . ." (Y/n) winced at the stinging pain on her left cheek.

"This. . . is your fault, so don't shed tears like you aren't the cause of this!"

Since then, a lot has changed. Her father was faced with criticism and his affair with his other woman was somehow publicized.

Not only did her father suffer but also herself, she often hear insults about her, saying that her mother should've been still alive if she was a good child.

A thing that is very noticeable in (Y/n), is her short temper. She doesn't like being made fun of, she doesn't like being insulted.

And she had put several students in the clinic or hospital for fighting against them to teach them a lesson. Because of that, she was kicked out of various schools despite her academic excellence. She was deemed to be a delinquent.

And her father of course did not take it well, often punishing her.

(Y/n)'s mental health was unstable, but she isn't crazy. At least she doesn't think she is.

In a different school, she met two of the most important people in her life. Their names. . . she can't remember.

And in her twenty-second birthday, she finally knew why. . .

"Memory erasure?"

"Yes, I believe so, Attorney."

"Are you making a fool out of me?"

"No. I genuinely believe that a memory erasure has been conducted to you. You can't loose memories from just a mild head injury."

"How is memory erasure even possible? And I still remember what and how my life progresses."

"Memory erasure is an artificial process of removing selected memories from a person. It isn't gone, you will just not remember it and with no chance of remembering them at all. Attorney, our technology is far more advanced than you might think. . . "

"And your family is wealthy enough to manipulate that kind of technology. . "

"So, my memories? They're taken away from me without my consent?"

The doctor sadly nodded.

It wasn't the only sad part in (Y/n)'s life— in fact her whole life is sad. But. . .

"Am I speaking to Attorney (Y/n) (L/n)?"

"Yes."

"I am sorry to inform you but your brother along with his comrades were rushed to the hospital, he is in critical condition right now." 

She didn't think it could be any sadder. Truly, she was so unfortunate that even the devil would sympathize with her.