♣Chapter 81♣

"She is going under a cardiac arrest! Someone prepare the defibrillator now!!" One of them shouted an order while Dr. Martin placed the stethoscope against her chest.

Zacharias was frozen on the spot. His mind completely shut, refusing to accept the reality.

'No! This is all a nightmare. She is fine! She is fine! She has to be.....' His mind kept on chanting like a mantra.

He stumbled back, but before his body would collapse, someone supported him from behind. The doctors were placing paddle electrodes over her chest and started giving her shocks, but she remained lifeless.

He held her hand in his and kept praying silently. "Come on love, wake up...Wake up for me...You're my brave girl, aren't you?...Please baby please, I beg you. You know I can't live without you, right? You can't live me...Please come back..." He implored silently. "You must fight this love..." He urged, as the doctors kept on determining the voltage and timings after every electrical shock.

After what felt like hours, her body responded to the shock, she gasped behind the oxygen mask and her frame jerked on the bed. The doctors sighed in relief when the heart monitor started beeping again and displaying those curved lines on its screen.

His body sagged in relief. He couldn't help but place his forehead on hers. A lone tear fell from his eye, dropping on her cheek.

"We will be shifting her into an ICU."  Zacharias discreetly wiped his tears and raised his head at Dr.Martin. "The next 48 hours are critical for her. There are chances of her slipping into a coma if she doesn't wake up in the next two days." He declared solemnly.

"She will wake up..." Zacharias stood up with fierce determination, as they prepared for her to be shifted into the ICU.

Adiva and the twins were shifted into a VIP suite and the room beside her was converted into an NICU, so that he would be able to be close to both of them. The guards were patrolling the whole floor. No one was allowed except his family and trusted doctors.

Though the threat was eliminated, he couldn't risk any chances. Especially when he had come this close to losing his family. A chill spread through his heart when he realized how close he was to losing them. How close it had gotten to see his world shatter.

"Never!" He promised to himself. Never was he gonna let any harm come their way.

He had sent the rest of the family back to the manor, but despite his protests, Igor and Demyan stubbornly chose to stay, reasoning that they don't want to leave him alone. It was already 3 in the morning and yet he could not dare to sleep. The doctors had come twice and examined her and the twins situation.

He sat beside her, holding her hand in his. Her body lay motionless. His gaze briefly flickered towards the ECG screen and he inwardly thanked god for keeping her heart beat steady and alive.

So much has happened since the last 24 hours. From being kidnapped, almost losing and the birth of their babies, to almost losing his wife forever. He witnessed and went through everything in the last few hours that felt like a death sentence to him.

The little cries of one of the babies caught his attention and he jumped out of the bed and ran towards the adjacent room. It was his baby girl who had woken up from her sleep while his boy was deep in his sleep. Slipping his hand through the hole of the glass incubator, Zacharias caressed her soft rosy cheeks, as he cooed her back to sleep. Then he moved towards his boy and simply caressed him.

His heart ached to see his tiny babies wrapped in number of wires. They were so tiny and unbelievably soft. They had named their baby girl Zaina and their baby boy Zmaray. He still couldn't believe he was a father now, to these two brave babies who like their mother fought and won their battle over death. He looked at them in astonishment as to how strikingly their features resembled like him and Adiva.