♣Chapter 17♣

I was looking at her. She was not like the other brides I have seen. Her eyes were dead. Her face was pale. Although, she was dressed beautifully in a golden colored wedding dress, she was looking like a doll. An emotionless doll! I was looking at the girl in the mirror. I was looking at me!

"You look beautiful Api." Ziya's voice snaps me out of my daze. "Yes Addie. God! just look at you. You look the most beautiful bride." Riya admits. The make up artist had done a great job in hiding my dark circles and red blotches that had appeared due to sleepless nights and my incessant crying.

Adiva's Wedding dress

Suddenly, the door opens, revealing, Mom, Dad, Ma, Pa, and Bhai. I can see my family on the verge of crying. Their eyes, shining with unshed tears. Mom hugs me as she comes towards me. "Mashallah! My daughter looks so beautiful. May Allah protect you from evil eyes." Mom prays, as everyone says 'Ameen' to that. 'But who will protect me from the evil himself!' my heart cries out screaming at me. One by one, all of my family members engulf me in a hug as they cry.

I am so tired of crying that, this time no tear comes out of my eyes. Rather I just give them a tight lipped smile. Later, we all have a family hug. 'This might be our last family hug together' I thought to myself.

"It's time" Dad says. I slip my hand into dad's and another one into Reyhan bhai's, as others follow behind us. "Everything is going to be fine" Bhai assures, smiling at me. 'No bhai! you don't know...Nothing is ever gonna be fine' my mind screams. But I don't say anything.

The whole event passes in a blur. I am not able to concentrate on anything. I am just turned into a robot, waiting for the command. All of a sudden, I hear a loud commotion outside, but I do not care. No one was paying attention to what the Imam(Cleric) was speaking as everyone was busy trying to know what the commotion was all about.

Ziya nudges me saying the Imam is waiting for my answer. I still do not say anything. The Imam asks me once again. This time, increasing his voice gaining everyone's attention. Everyone is waiting for my 'I accept'. But me?? I am thinking of various ways of running from the demon, masked as a gentleman sitting in front of me while, keeping my family safe from the demon's clutches.

I get startled, when a hand squeezes my shoulder making me jump out of my thoughts. Mom gives me a questioning look when I look at her. Then I realize, people have started to whisper things. "I-I...ac-accept" I say thrice in a timid voice. The Imam sighs in relief. Mom and dad, Ma and Pa come to me with tears in their eyes as they kiss my forehead and wipe my tears that I didn't realize had started falling freely. People come forward congratulating my parents and some clapping their hands, celebrating my doom!

Suddenly, a loud gunshot echoes, startling all of us and making people run like haywire, trying to save their lives. "Stand where you all are or else, I won't hesitate to shoot. How dare you rascals marry her to someone else when I am the groom?"