S05 E39.1: Homecoming (Part 1)

August 24, 2027

It's been a few months since the Pride island and Isabella went back to Stanford for the Summer Semester, which is where she is at now. 3 days before they have she would have to return to campus for the Fall semester, which would start in September. 

"Iz! Here!" Brittany, one of Isabella's teammates shouted across the field when they noticed their star player free. The ball landed on her feet. Once she was sure she secured the ball, Izzy made a quick turn, nutmegging the defender who had marked her, before crossing the ball to one of her teammates who volleyed the ball into the goal.

Isabella grinned before running and giving her a high-five, where the rest of her teammates followed to congratulate their teammates. 

It was a fun and friendly scrimmage between the team, so Isabella was happy to see all of her teammates congratulate the amazing goal. Hillary Nguyen, or Coach Hill as her team likes to call her, blew her whistle as a sign of the end of the scrimmage. 

"Okay everyone, stretch then meet me in the locker room. I have to talk to the coach of the men's team. And before anyone asks, yes it is about the cones." Isabella chuckled at the frustration of their coach at the coach of the men's team, who can't seem to return the cones properly. "Can't seem to get it through his head to stack them up properly."

"Will you fight him this time, coach?"

Isabella chuckled at her team's antics, all of them watching their coach jog through the field. She started stretching when she felt a hand on her back, so she looked back and grinned when she saw their captain, Stacy Pollock. "Hey, Captain."

"You were great out on the field today, as you always are."

She gave their coach a proud grin, having always had this sisterly bond with their coach. "Thank you, you were great out there as well."

"You have plans for the break?" Stacy asked, trying to make small talk.

Isabella noticed this too, having known her for a year, she tends to pick up things with her teammates. This is what actually really helps all of their chemistry on the field. "We're flying to Ohio for a week when break starts. There's this Homecoming with Mom's old high school so we're all going. You?"

"As you may or may not know, I'm graduating this semester which means I will no longer be the captain. And Coach asked me who I am recommending to take my place..." Isabella stopped and tilted her head, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "I recommended you."

Isabella chuckled and shook her head. "Isn't the Captain supposed to be a senior? I'm just a freshman."

"Sophmore."

"Barely a sophomore, I will be a sophomore next semester."

"And you would be the captain then, so you wouldn't be a freshman." She saw the reluctance in her eyes making her sigh. "Look, it's just a recommendation. At the end of the day, it would be Coach's decision. But I recommended you because you are an amazing player, and everyone on the team listens to you. Have you seen yourself on the field?"

Isabella shrugged and chuckled. "I can't really see myself while I play so technically no."

Stacy chuckled and bumped her hip before wrapping her arm around Isabella's shoulder. "Well then for your information, you look great out there. You're a great leader, and this team needs you."

"But-"

"As their captain," Stacy cut her off, knowing what she was going to say.

"Are you sure this has nothing to do with the fact that my Mom was your surgeon and she saved your life?" When Stacy playfully shrugged, Isabella laughed and pushed her away.