CHAPTER 3

I am finally glad when I get a day off. And it’s a bonus because it’s month end. The first thing I do when I get to the mall is deposit money to my family. I don’t want mom calling me in the middle of my shopping spree and demanding money. Then I also deposit my rent. When I am done with those fixed expenses, I head to this lady I know who do people’s hair underneath a small gazebo. She does my hair every month end, so we are very familiar with each other. Her name is Comfort.

“Chichi baby.” she beams as soon as she sees me. I laugh and hug her.

“Hey comfort. I want some short braids. You know it’s month end and I am in a hurry.” She smiles.

“Well let’s get started then.” She leads me to a chair and I settle down. She works with 4 other women in this gazebo, so three of them get busy with my head and two hours later, they are done.

“Thank you, Comfort.” I smile looking at my reflection. This woman has magic hands. I pay her and then head back inside the mall.

A friend of mine from Facebook notifies me about a sale at CNA, so I quickly head there and purchase two books. ‘In The Dungeon’ by Mutshidzi Ashley and ‘A Woman’s Essence’ by Thokozani Magagula. As much as I am into eroticas written by authors from all over the world, I love books by African authors so much because you can’t help but feel connected to the writer when reading them. I grab a few clothes on sale at Selfast and then head to the cinema since I booked a ticket for Marry Me. After getting my snacks, I proceed to theatre 2 and when I reach my seat, I frown when I see a guy sitting there. I clear my throat.

“Sorry, but you’re in my seat.” The guy turns and looks at me. Wow, he is quite the catch.

“You can utilize other vacant seats. There is no need to sit on the exact seat you booked.” He drawls before turning his attention to his phone.

“But I love this seat and I usually sit here when I come to watch a movie. So how about you be considerate and maybe shift?” he sighs, rolling his eyes but eventually moves to sit on the chair next to him. “Thank you.” I settle down and put my snack on the vacant chair on my right.

The movie finally starts. I am really enjoying it and I think the stranger next to me is also enjoying it because I catch him laughing at some funny moments. The movie finally comes to an end.

“I am pretty sure you would’ve went for Bastian.” He states in a low voice turning to me. I chuckle shaking my head.

“Wow. You have judged me without even knowing me.”

“But that’s how you women are. Always going for the handsome, rich and toxic guys. You hate good guys.”

“There is a difference between good guys and boring guys. Some good guys don’t want change because they think you are trying to control them. They don’t wanna experience new things. So, excuse women for going for the unsafe option.” He laughs.

“How about we continue this discussion over late lunch?”

“It depends. Are you Charlie or are you Bastian? Also, do you have your own Kat Valdez waiting for you at home?” he laughs louder than the last time.

“You are hilarious, and no I don’t have my own Kat. The first question, you have to find out for yourself.” I look at the time and it’s still early.