CHAPTER 21

It’s my last day at work and I am sad. It has only been a few months but I have made a few friends. Those being Mathenji and MaNyathi who has been like a mother to me. I am going to miss them a lot. I am going to miss the gossip from Fikile. I am going to miss some of the tantrums thrown by kids. Trust me, when they are no longer throwing them, you kinda miss them a bit.

I am going to miss people falling down and cursing, knowing they are the ones at fault because they ignored the caution sign. I am also going to miss the drama. Last month this chick came to fetch her weave from the lady at the wine section. She didn’t say anything, she just swiftly took it off and cat walked her way out of the store. The wine lady was embarrassed but she continued working with her cornrows because there was a long line of customers.

“So the wife found out about Mayor Mthimkhulu paying lobola for the other side chick and she threw a fit. Apparently she set his brand new car on fire.” Fikile starts off, slowly pushing her cart. She scans the area and I laugh. That’s how a person does when she has a big scoop. Check the surroundings and then continue with the news.

“How did she find out?”
“It turns out, the slay queen side chick got angry about the mayor paying lobola for the other side chick and she texted the wife. The story didn’t make it to the tabloids because the mayor pays handsomely for his affairs not to be displayed on the media.”

“How did you find out?” I mean if it wasn’t on tabloids, how the hell did she find out? But Fikile is Fikile. No news passes her. Even if it’s not public.

“Twitter honey. One tweet can go a long way.” She also has a great number of followers on the bird app because she always retweets the scoops and add her hilarious captions that make people love her. She is a low key journalist. “On the other news, Monica is homeless.” This time, her voice drops a key. I narrow my eyes towards her. There is only one Monica I know who is kind of trending these days. 

“Where did you hear that from?”
“It turns out Makhosonke gave her parting gifts. Those are gifts a rich man usually give his ex-girlfriend when they part ways so that she won’t cause drama and won’t find it hard to get back on her feet.” I nod. I should also date a rich man, move in with him and dump him so that I can get parting gifts. “Makhosonke gave her an apartment in Centurion, a card with R500k and he told her that she could keep the car he brought her for her birthday this year.”

“Jesus Christ!” I am super shocked. Makhosonke has half a million lying around just to gift and ex-girlfriend? How rich is he? “Where does one get such a rich man?”

She laughs. “Well you can go to Gogo Maweni and she will give you things that make the pots to be done.” I frown. Who is Gogo Maweni now? She rolls her eyes. “Story for another day. So after that dramatic tweet and video Monica posted, it landed her and her friend on hot waters. Makhosonke took back the flat and the money. He only left her the car which is kind of useless unless she can miraculously get a job in less than a week.”

“By hot waters, she means the friend got sued for posting that photo of you.” Mathenji chirps in. I didn’t even notice her standing there.
“When did you get here?” she laughs and waves me off.
“The friend got sued and if it goes well, you might get the money from the lawsuit.” I frown.
“What money?”

“You stupid friend of mine.” She groans. “Makhosonke is an advocate and his father is a judge. This case can take less than a month. Melinda is guilty. All the evidence points towards her. Which reminds me, I should really watch what I post.” I laugh. As if Mathenji can do that.

“Monica had brands lining up to partner with her but after all this drama, they are all taking steps back. Next thing you know, she is going to be a blogger trashing celebs for a living. Or even selling her home made tea for belly fat.” Fikile states dramatically before pushing her cart away, leaving us laughing.